+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada for a Newly Landed FSW

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I was just wondering if someone can give insights on how Canada treats a fresh FSW just landed there.

1. What are the pitfalls one should take care of while moving to Canada for the first time?
2. How is the job market for an engineer (Computer/IT) with some years of work experience?
3. What are the best way to find affordable renting options?
4. What are the legal/govt formalities one needs to take care of post landing and during settlement?
5. Most importantly - Is it tough to find a white collar job?
Someone in the forum mentioned that people with good qualifications and degrees are doing blue collar jobs and taxi driving to make both ends meet. Is it true?

Kindly enlighten.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
1. Be sure to have all your documentation on landing. Make accommodation arrangements ahead of your landing. Be sure to have a transportation plan from the airport to your place of accommodation e.g Uber etc.

2. IT in this part of the world is a great area. You stand good chances of landing a job but it won’t be easy. You may have to settle for an entry-level position or you may land something that matches your current experience. The key is packaging your application the right way, be sure to make use of settlement services. Also networking and having a job search strategy are essential. just pushing out applications to every job you see doesn’t yield much, if anything. Focus on quality not quantity. That means reviewing the job description carefully and customizing your resume to it. It’s time consuming but yield better results.

3. There’s online resources you can use like kijiji.ca I’d suggest you secure a Airbnb for accommodation on landing for 1 month. Within that month, you make it your business to learn about the area, neighborhoods, rental rates etc. then you can make an informed decision. Your Airbnb host should be a good resource.

4. Apply for provincial health insurance and apply for SIN, if you don’t get it at your POE. Using settlement services is optional but the service is free, paid for by the govt.

5. Yes, it is but very possible. As I mentioned in my response to 2, you need a strategy and one that’s solid. Your goal is to land an interview. Once you receive that invitation the rest is up to you. The resume/application gets you the interview, the interview gets you the job. So make sure your application is great and fire on all cylinders in the interview. It is you against the world, a fight for your career. You MUST be at your best. I don’t know where your from but if you’re from a high-context culture, you need to start making adjustments. Again, is very possible but it’s hasn’t been easy for most

All the best