+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get deported for not paying taxes???? in ONtario

dizel

Sep 19, 2012
If you are a landed Immigrant with no crimial record, but has refused to take care of his tax debt and now he owes $39,000.00 and hasn't done his taxes for 2009-2011 so it will be alot more.
Now will he get deported as it looks like he has no intention of doing his taxes.
He is self employed, he uses my address for mail, and he never comes to pick up his mail, there is a box full of letters from CRA, he opened 2 last night, one saying he owed the money, the other telling him to do the taxes then he put everything else in the shredder, without reading it.
I am worried for him, and he doesn't take this seriously

Will he get deported? and can they ever go after his kids from his ex for anything? even when they are oldered , if he never paid his debt????

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
I'm no expert on deportation laws, but I think it unlikely. Permanent residents are generally only deported for serious criminal offences. Tax evasion can either be a summary or criminal offence, depending on how the CRA goes about it.

However, what that gentleman is doing is can lead himself to greater penalties and very likely jail. Considering he has a business, if he is collecting HST/PST/GST and not remitting it, the CRA may use some of their more severe options to obtain remedies. Considering that he is wilfully shredding the mail, he is asking for it.

If I were you, I would advise the CRA that your address is no longer his authorized mailing address. Eventually, once a case officer follows up on this, you will likely be called to give evidence that you either collected the mail on his behalf / witnessed him receiving and destroying the mail. Mitigate your exposure and disassociate your ties to his tax situation.

The CRA has a very long reach as it comes to debt collection, and the courts have options to make tax debt immune to bankruptcy.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Agree with seton. When you become a permanent resident, one of the things you must do is abide by the laws and pay taxes. Under the gov't's new crime bill(passed in June/July), any PR or temporary resident convicted of a crime that carries a jail term of 6 months or more will be deported after serving time.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It wont be as serious as deportation, If you are not paying taxes, it is a criminal offense punishable by fine and possibly jail term and thats all. One thing new immigrants should realize that Government of Canada will come after them when it comes to money owed. This matter should be taken very seriously.

Partly its the governments fault too because they should make new immigrants aware of consequences of not paying taxes. A lot of new immigrants come from countries where income tax does not exist or there is no concept of paying taxes or interest. They should be given the benefit of the doubt

maryf

Aug 29, 2016
yes i agree, the results can never be so much severe for tax evasion. i think he may face legal troubles and for more guidance lawyers help can be taken.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
dizel said:
If you are a landed Immigrant with no crimial record, but has refused to take care of his tax debt and now he owes $39,000.00 and hasn't done his taxes for 2009-2011 so it will be alot more.
Now will he get deported as it looks like he has no intention of doing his taxes.
He is self employed, he uses my address for mail, and he never comes to pick up his mail, there is a box full of letters from CRA, he opened 2 last night, one saying he owed the money, the other telling him to do the taxes then he put everything else in the shredder, without reading it.
I am worried for him, and he doesn't take this seriously

Will he get deported? and can they ever go after his kids from his ex for anything? even when they are oldered , if he never paid his debt????
As mentioned earlier, he can't be deported. However, the government can seize and liquidate his assets, including his house, car, etc.