+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can only stay in Canada 6 months total in a year? Is this true?

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
I've been getting some conflicting info on this forum. I keep reading stories of people visiting Canada for the maximum allowed time (6 months), leaving for a period of time (few weeks, couple months...) and then returning to Canada for another visit.

But twice now from two different posters, I've heard something about not being allowed to visit more than a total of 6 months out of a year (365 days, not a calendar year I assume). This is assuming you don't apply for an extension or are denied one. Is this true? Because I've done a LOT of research (and posted plenty on this forum) on the topic of visiting Canada, and never heard of such a thing on any website. Can anyone show me a link where this is stated? I can't find anything on it on my own. I don't know if this is actually a law, just an assumed rule or not legit at all.

Confused1999

May 19, 2009
Yes you are only aloud to visit Canada for 6 months as I have friend that goes back to the United States for a certain amount of weeks and then returns. I cannot remember how long he must stay before re-entering Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Koishii said:
I've been getting some conflicting info on this forum. I keep reading stories of people visiting Canada for the maximum allowed time (6 months), leaving for a period of time (few weeks, couple months...) and then returning to Canada for another visit.

But twice now from two different posters, I've heard something about not being allowed to visit more than a total of 6 months out of a year (365 days, not a calendar year I assume). This is assuming you don't apply for an extension or are denied one. Is this true? Because I've done a LOT of research (and posted plenty on this forum) on the topic of visiting Canada, and never heard of such a thing on any website. Can anyone show me a link where this is stated? I can't find anything on it on my own. I don't know if this is actually a law, just an assumed rule or not legit at all.
No, you can visit for as long as CBSA/CIC will allow you. If they feel that you are residing in Canada, without PR status they will refuse to give you an extension.

PMM

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
Confused1999 said:
Yes you are only aloud to visit Canada for 6 months as I have friend that goes back to the United States for a certain amount of weeks and then returns. I cannot remember how long he must stay before re-entering Canada.
You're saying he stays for 6 months, returns to the US for a few weeks and then returns again for another six months?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Koishii said:
You're saying he stays for 6 months, returns to the US for a few weeks and then returns again for another six months?
He can try, but there is no guarantee that CBSA will admit him, each case is based on the individual, if they think that he is working/residing in Canada, they will refuse.

PMM

MidniteMarv

Mar 30, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question. My fiancee arrived in Canada last October from S. Korea without a visa. (Korea=visa-exempt) She has now stayed a bit over 5 months.

She just booked a flight back to Korea for April 11th to visit her family for about a month and then she is planning to come back to Canada in May for our wedding in June.

Are you saying that there is a chance she won't be let back into the country because she's already stayed almost 6 months? :eek:

Please help!!! It would be crazy if we missed our wedding because she won't be let back in! T.T

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=MidniteMarv link=topic=37874.msg253130#msg253130 date=1270053332]
Hello all,

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question. My fiancee arrived in Canada last October from S. Korea without a visa. (Korea=visa-exempt) She has now stayed a bit over 5 months.

She just booked a flight back to Korea for April 11th to visit her family for about a month and then she is planning to come back to Canada in May for our wedding in June.

Are you saying that there is a chance she won't be let back into the country because she's already stayed almost 6 months? :eek:

Please help!!! It would be crazy if we missed our wedding because she won't be let back in! T.T
[/quote]

The only persons guaranteed admission to Canada are Canadian citizens, Indians registered as band members under the Indian Act, and Permanent Residents. All other are examined as to their intentions. If it is decided that they are not bona fide visitors then they will be refused.

PMM

fruittropics

Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14 October 2009
File Transfer...
27 October 2009
Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
MidniteMarv

If your fiance does visit and enter Canada she should not mention she is getting married because they may not let her enter. They will fear that she will overstay or not leave. That said she should be honest. Just a simple visiting boyfriend or country will suffice.

fruittropics

Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14 October 2009
File Transfer...
27 October 2009
Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
Btw people

This is B.S. whoever mentioned that is seriously causing unnecessary panic.
I had entered, left and reentered the country for 5-6 months each time for two years and in one calendar year I had stayed longer than 9 months. So yes this question is untrue.

That said, I am from a visa exempt country (VEC). So perhaps I should say that my post reply is applicable only to visa exempt country visitors. Since it's tried and tested.

I must add that when you're from a VEC and when you do leave Canada, they do not indicate anywhere in your passport you had left the country on such and such date. They only stamp the date you entered the country in your passport. Unless they have a secret book of records somewhere recorded by the airline staff you check in with.

I also recall that when I reentered the country sometimes the IO may casually ask if you had just visited last March or sorts. And I just say yes and they just want to know for what and if you're gonna stay at the same address as before. They don't ask how long I stayed that trip.

I guess bottomline, they check you out for honesty, sufficient funds, and satisfy that you will leave the country upon 6 months/180 days (with a booked return ticket) or sorts.

achour84

Mar 31, 2010
hello i'm currently visiting Canada.... i would to stay here without returning in Europe to make all the process it takes for the immigration procedure....

is it possible for me to make an immigration procedure in the Canadian territory without living the country and if yes what are the steps to follow?

thanks

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
fruittropics said:
I must add that when you're from a VEC and when you do leave Canada, they do not indicate anywhere in your passport you had left the country on such and such date. They only stamp the date you entered the country in your passport. Unless they have a secret book of records somewhere recorded by the airline staff you check in with.
Hmm, that would be convenient, but is that really true? They never stamped a date when you left Canada, only when you arrived? I just checked my passport, and I have both a stamp for arrival and departure for the last time I was in Canada (only for a week). I wonder, if I had not presented it at security on my own, would they have asked for it, or only my boarding pass. Because I read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_stamp - that Canada in fact does only issue entry stamps.

I'm also left to wonder if the airline keeps such records and whether or not CBSA would know of this somehow.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Koishii said:
Hmm, that would be convenient, but is that really true? They never stamped a date when you left Canada, only when you arrived? I just checked my passport, and I have both a stamp for arrival and departure for the last time I was in Canada (only for a week). I wonder, if I had not presented it at security on my own, would they have asked for it, or only my boarding pass. Because I read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_stamp - that Canada in fact does only issue entry stamps.

I'm also left to wonder if the airline keeps such records and whether or not CBSA would know of this somehow.
Canada stamps when you arrive, not when you depart. Probably the other stamp is at port of entry where you went, wherever that is.

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
job_seeker said:
Canada stamps when you arrive, not when you depart. Probably the other stamp is at port of entry where you went, wherever that is.
I just realized the second stamp says U.S. on it. Whoops. I suppose if my passport will be stamped upon returning to the U.S., that would be telling of how long I was in Canada.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am from the US and in the process of Canadian immigration and have been living here in Canada (unable to work) for over 6 months....

In the past two years I've traveled by car and air several dozen times between US and Canada.
When traveling by car (with my Canadian gf/wife) I don't think they have ever stamped our passports. Several times (when traveling by car) they never even opened our passports, only taking our word that the trip was same day/overnight.

However every time that I have flown between the US and Canada they have stamped my passport, with the date of entry. By appropriate US or Canadian Customs.

When flying from the US to Canada, the Canadian Customs always ask where I am from (which I say that State that I am from), where I am going and for how long. Often (but not always) they ask what am doing here, were I am employed, and how I know the person I am visiting (my gf/wife).

Like others have said a lot of it is intent. If they feel you are here illegally planning to stay permanently with out legal process they will most likely not let you in.

If you require a visa to visit, I imagine they are doubly cautious.
Also it has been my experience as a visitor, no matter where you are from, that you plan to return to your home country, and are able to support yourself.

My first visit nearly two years ago, I was given the grand welcome (with a second customs agent interview) because I told them I was stay for two week with only $100. The customs agent called my gf, who assured them I was staying with her and she was going to take care of me. On that first trip, I came here to have surgery at the Shouldice Hernia Centre. And my gf, who is an RN took very good care of me. :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Koishii said:
I just realized the second stamp says U.S. on it. Whoops. I suppose if my passport will be stamped upon returning to the U.S., that would be telling of how long I was in Canada.
For sure, if you are not an American citizen, your passport will be stamped when you enter the US.