+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel while waiting for my study permit?

knoxis

May 21, 2016
Hi all,
So I am a US citizen living in Malaysia. I recently applied for a study permit to Canada, as my sister lives in Toronto and I'd like to live with her while studying. However, my sister has aso been planning a road trip, which she asked me to join. I am currently still waiting for my study permit, though. As a US citizen, I can travel to Canada without a visitor's visa. However, since I live in Malaysia and submitted my application online, my visa office is set as "Singapore". If for any reason, the visa officer requires an interview, is it possible to visit the visa office in the USA to do my interview? Or will I be required to fly to Singapore to conduct my interview? I can definitely do so, but if possible I'd prefer to do my visa interview in the US.

Also, I heard that US citizens can actually apply for a study permit at the border before crossing over into Canada. Is this still ongoing, and if so, does this apply to US citizens that are not arriving from the US, who have been living abroad?

Thanks!