+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go out of country after applying

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I sent my application on Sept 5th. My question is can I travel out of Canada after applying. My father is very ill and I will have to make several trips to my home country. Will it affect my citizenship application. Also, there will be a time when my PR card will be taken away and I would not be having Canadian passport at that time. If I go with my home country passport, I would not be allowed in without PR card. This whole situation seems to be very confusing.

I would appreciate if someone can explain the whole procedure, how this all works.

Thanks

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
When and how long do you plan to leave ? When is your PR card expiring ?
If you will have several trips, I would apply right away to renew your PR card (if it expires in less that 9 months).
It should not impact your application as long as you still live in Canada but yes you can have as much as trips outside the country you want.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
They take your PR card away at oath time.
If you require travelling urgently right after and cannot wait the usual 2-3 weeks for passport application, you can apply for urgent passport and get it in a day. Costs more obviously.

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
They take your PR card away at oath time.
If you require travelling urgently right after and cannot wait the usual 2-3 weeks for passport application, you can apply for urgent passport and get it in a day. Costs more obviously.
Thanks for the reply. But again this will be a very tricky situation. Even if I get urgent passport, I would not be able to travel, because first I have to renounce my home country's citizenship and then I will have to apply for visa of that country. This whole process will take nearly 2 months. And if there is an emergency at my home, I will be screwed at that time.

One question, even if I get Canadian passport, would I still be able to use my home country passport. Is it legal ?

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Thanks for the reply. But again this will be a very tricky situation. Even if I get urgent passport, I would not be able to travel, because first I have to renounce my home country's citizenship and then I will have to apply for visa of that country. This whole process will take nearly 2 months. And if there is an emergency at my home, I will be screwed at that time.

One question, even if I get Canadian passport, would I still be able to use my home country passport. Is it legal ?
I assume you are Indian or Chinese or from a country that does not allow dual citizenship. So it is best that someone more knowledgeable chime in.
However, Canada wont force you to give up your passport since Canada allows dual citizenship. Technically you should be able to travel back to your home country on the old passport if there is an emergency and apply for travel document from the embassy in your country before travelling back.

Keep in mind, the above is not legal advice and I am not sure whether it is illegal in your home country to travel on their passport after you have taken oath.

If you are from a country that does allow dual citizenship, you can travel on your old passport but you would need proof of citizenship to get back into Canada which you will likely have to apply for from home if you do not have Canadian passport at that point.

Reactions: ronmcguire3425

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
I assume you are Indian or Chinese or from a country that does not allow dual citizenship. So it is best that someone more knowledgeable chime in.
However, Canada wont force you to give up your passport since Canada allows dual citizenship. Technically you should be able to travel back to your home country on the old passport if there is an emergency and apply for travel document from the embassy in your country before travelling back.

Keep in mind, the above is not legal advice and I am not sure whether it is illegal in your home country to travel on their passport after you have taken oath.

If you are from a country that does allow dual citizenship, you can travel on your old passport but you would need proof of citizenship to get back into Canada which you will likely have to apply for from home if you do not have Canadian passport at that point.
Thanks a lot...

serotonin

May 27, 2017
Assuming you are travelling to India...you can always apply for the e-visa which supposedly has a very short wait time.
Apologies if you are looking for information regarding a different country as I do not have any information of how it will work in that case.

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Assuming you are travelling to India...you can always apply for the e-visa which supposedly has a very short wait time.
Apologies if you are looking for information regarding a different country as I do not have any information of how it will work in that case.
Thanks a lot for this very useful information. Yes, I was talking about India. I remember there was a news that they were starting visa on arrival scheme. I don't have the details.

harjotsandhu

Star Member
Mar 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-08-2010
IELTS Request
With App
Med's Request
07-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
05-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-01-2015
LANDED..........
09-03-2015
There is no dual citizenship provision for Indian passport holders.

"Termination is covered in Section 9 of the Citizenship Act, 1955. The provisions for termination are separate and distinct from the provisions for making a declaration of renunciation.
Section 9(1) of the act provides that any citizen of India who by naturalisation or registration acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India."

As for Visa on Arrival, again, there is no Visa on Arrival for Canadian Citizens (provided you have a Canadian passport.. There, however, is an option for E-Visa.
"An application for e-Visa must be made at least four calendar days in advance of the date of arrival and can be made as early as 120 days in advance. The visa is valid for 60 calendar days from the date of arrival, and can be obtained twice in a calendar year. Double entry is permitted on e-Tourist Visa and e-Business Visa. Triple entry is permitted on e-Medical Visa. The duration of stay cannot be extended."

If you travel to India without PR card, make sure you get a travel document BEFORE you leave. Visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp for more info.
As said by others, this is not legal advice. Call CIC to confirm all doubts beforehand.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
You will not get Canadian citizenship in a few months. I am not sure why you applied at all, but perhaps you didn't know about your father's illness. I would withdraw my application if I were you, at least until your situation is normalized.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
You need to inform cic if you are travelling for 15 days or more. Keep some one who can check your mails so you can act promptly if something is required. Be prepared to come for test and oath as and when required.

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
You need to inform cic if you are travelling for 15 days or more. Keep some one who can check your mails so you can act promptly if something is required. Be prepared to come for test and oath as and when required.
Are you sure about this that I need to inform cic if I have to go out for more than 15 days. Especially now since "intent to stay" has been removed.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Are you sure about this that I need to inform cic if I have to go out for more than 15 days. Especially now since "intent to stay" has been removed.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

After you apply: next steps – Citizenship

Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, only contact us if you:

• change your address
  • are charged with a crime
  • plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row <---------
Under Canadian privacy law, we can’t give information about your application to anyone but you unless you consent in writing.

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

After you apply: next steps – Citizenship

Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, only contact us if you:

• change your address
  • are charged with a crime
  • plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row <---------
Under Canadian privacy law, we can’t give information about your application to anyone but you unless you consent in writing.
OMG, I did not see this before....

Any suggestions what should I do now....what would be the outcome if I inform them that I am going out for more than 2 weeks, will they stop processing my application....

Last edited:

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
OMG, I did not see this before....

Any suggestions what should I do now....what would be the outcome if I inform them that I am going out for more than 2 weeks, will they stop processing my application....
No they won't.

I had informed them of two travels this year. The first one was six weeks long and the second one three. In fact this was great as they gave me a test date that did not fall on a date that I was away and now I will have my oath exactly one day after the return of my next date.

If you calculated your dates correctly and you fulfill all the requirements there is nothing to worry about.

I had to travel to visit my elderly mother and I included my itinerary plus a copy of my mother's passport, to show her age. I don't think I had to do that, but frankly anything that proves why you travel can't harm.

You are allowed to travel!