+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i get a Saskatchewan Health Card on a Working Vacation Visa?

Robenski

Jun 28, 2015
Here's the situation. I have been granted a working vacation visa from Japan to visit Canada. I already have 3 months of travelers insurance that i pay for. The paperwork says i should apply for one year of insurance to last the duration of my stay in Canada. Japanese insurance is very expensive and ive been told that once i start working that a Saskatchewan Health card is paid for out of the taxes i would be paying anyways.

So i ask. Can i get a Sask Health Card while in Canada on a Japanese Working Vacation Visa?

Will the Airport immigration reject my entrance if i only have three months of travelers insurance?

Random question i didn't think to ask but the answer to which will solve all my problems?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Working holiday visa holders are told by immigration they should buy their own insurance. However, health care is not run by immigration so they have at least in some cases been granted provincial health care upon applying for it.

So.. get your 3 months insurance. If asked on entry, tell them you could only buy 3 month insurance in your country and you will renew it or buy insurance in Canada.

Then go to SK health care, apply for a health card and see if you get one. However, keep in mind that in order to be eligible, you need to commit to staying in the province for at least 6/12 months so if you decide to move to another province during your year in Canada, you should not do it until 6 months have passed because otherwise, they could accuse you of insurance fraud and demand pack pay for everything they covered for you.

Robenski

Jun 28, 2015
Re: Can i get a Saskatchewan Health Card on a Working Holiday Visa?

I have committed to staying for a full year and have work and a residence lined up so that part isn't an issue. I stayed in Saskatchewan as a student a few years ago and still have an expired Saskatchewan health card from back then, hopefully i can renew it. If i can buy insurance in Saskatchewan or wait until i get there and apply for a health card around the time i start working then that is my preference. But i worry that when i get to immigration inspection at the border they will see that i only have three months of travelers insurance and reject my entry because the documentation for the working holiday visa advises that i get insurance for the full duration of my stay before entering the country.

I have a plan, but im having trouble navigating the official sites and finding any actual firm answers as to whether or not its by the book legal or grounds for someone to get their back up and reject me on a technicality. With a life change like this, being 90% sure everything will work out isn't good enough. All it takes is one small mistake and suddenly someone on the border decided i didn't dot my I's and cross my T's, refuses me entry and sends me back home. A home where my apartment lease will be up and i've already quit my job. I want to be 100% sure.

I fly into Canada in less than three weeks. If all else fails i will pay the extra thousands for a years insurance before my flight but i would hate to waste the money if i can get that insurance much cheaper from Canada's health care system. Does anyone know anything that can firm up these answers?

EDIT: That all being said, i have an even greater concern. Am I even eligible for a Saskatchewan Health Card when there on a Working Holiday Visa? I know you can get one if you are sponsored in with a full Work Visa and with any luck i can transition to that state after 6-8 months in province. But in the short term a Working Holiday Visa is all i could get and i do not know if this is valid or not.

If all my questions can be answered it would really set my mind at ease.

philephila

Aug 2, 2017
Hi there,
Have you found an answer for your question? I'm hosting an au pair who's coming to SK on a work holiday visa. I'm not sure if she can get SK health coverage right away. She'll be staying for at least 1 year and possibly 2.
Thanks for your help!
Adelaine