+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my Post Graduate Work Permit?

RiceRice

May 13, 2015
Hi, I need some opinion here. I am now working with my Post Graduate Work permit but will expire in June (even though my open work permit has 3 years but I only work for 1.5 yrs), my employer is willing to submit the LMIA now but not sure if it will have positive result cause my wage is lower than the median wage. EDSC may take at least 10 weeks to process the LMIA and my work permit has already been expired at that time. I have already opened a profile for the Express Entry but only has 328 CRS points so far without the LMIA. Can anyone please advise if there is a chance to extend my work permit? Can anyone please shed some light? Many thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In order to extend your work permit, you either need an approved LMIA or your appliction must be selected through Express Entry and AOR received.

matrix21

Jan 21, 2015
Regina, SK, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
Hi

apply work permit extension with same employer through paper application so you will get 104 days to process your LMIA.Work on Implied status and once decision made if its No - dn restore ur status if u have positive LMIA till dt tym, dn apply for work permit and negative then apply for visitor visa.

attached the letter of your employer that mentioned ur designation,duties ,type of job etc.(do not mention wage if u think it's low) AND they are willing to do LMIA .

for LMIA process if ur employer is ready to write median wage and dn adjust d hours,do overtym ....

hope its help....Thank you

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
matrix21 said:
Hi

apply work permit extension with same employer through paper application so you will get 104 days to process your LMIA.Work on Implied status and once decision made if its No - dn restore ur status if u have positive LMIA till dt tym, dn apply for work permit and negative then apply for visitor visa.

attached the letter of your employer that mentioned ur designation,duties ,type of job etc.(do not mention wage if u think it's low) AND they are willing to do LMIA .

for LMIA process if ur employer is ready to write median wage and dn adjust d hours,do overtym ....

hope its help....Thank you
PGWP cannot be extended so this does not apply to the OP

RiceRice

May 13, 2015
Thanks for your replies and the information. If PGWP cannot be extended, I can still apply for a new work permit, correct?

krackjack

Jul 3, 2015
Hi,

I have a situation and very confused what to do. I did a Master of Engineering Program in 3 semesters in 2012-2013. My university in its website says that, the program can generally be completed in 1 year (2 semesters) with no mention of the maximum duration. After study permit I applied for post graduate work permit. I got the post graduate work permit for 1 year and 9 months and with a remarks section saying:

"Work permit issued to passport expiry, must be renewed for further extension of post graduate work permit"

My current pgwp expires in 2 months and I am employed full time. I believe I was suppose to get a 3 year pgwp based on the remarks, but due to passport expiry it was limited. Now if I apply for extension, with the current processing time, I will be going on implied status. I am very worried if my pgwp will be extended or not. If it does not get extended, I will have to leave the country.

Can anyone please advise if I will be getting extension on the pgwp or not. Has anyone been in this kind of situation. Or i should try looking for another work permit?

Please Comment

Thank you.

tonero

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-01-2016
IELTS Request
22-01-2016
File Transfer...
22-01-2016
Med's Request
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
28-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2016
LANDED..........
18-07-2016
PGWP can be extended to the full amount if your passport is expiring. Just apply for a new one (Confirmed from CIC) im currently waiting on mine . and it expired last month still working under implied status. Funny enough tried to show my boss when i got hired , he didnt even bother to look at it.

Im not sure what OP wants to do but if he has the full three years i doubt it can get extended without an LMIA and even then its no longer a PGWP just an Open work permit.

krackjack

Jul 3, 2015
To Tonero and others!

Thats the thing.. I am confused whether I will get the full amount or not. Have you ever heard of a case where post graduate work permit was limited to passport expiry, and when the person asked for the extended time, he was denied. I am afraid that dont happen here

tonero

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-01-2016
IELTS Request
22-01-2016
File Transfer...
22-01-2016
Med's Request
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
28-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2016
LANDED..........
18-07-2016
im in the process of applying right now so i dont know. Im pretty confident because i called in and they confirmed that i can apply.

Inthemidst

Nov 6, 2013
App. Filed.......
Dec 12 2015
Doc's Request.
Jan 4th
AOR Received.
Dec 12th
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
waiting
I am almost in a similar situation. Waiting for BC PNP EE result . Hoping to get a result by 20th or 27th july ... but my PGWP expires by July 11th . Wondering how can i extbd my work permit atleast for 2 weeks until i get pnp result . Thought of online applicatn and realised its not possible without a positive pnp or lmia .

If i am goin by paper application is there anythin my employer has to do ?? Or i can simply go ahead and do it myself . Also do i go into implied status since the moment i sent the application or it happens only whn cic receives my application???

Plz help

Mk12345

Apr 10, 2017
Pg work permit expiry

Hi,

I had applied for my pg work permit after I graduated from McGill May 2016. My program duration was for 2 years but I completed in 16 months. Unfortuantley my pg work permit was only granted for 16 months( duration of program completion) which expires October 31st 2017. I had applied for my permit outside Canada (Lagos, Nigeria). I am currently working full time in my field of study. Can I apply for my pg work permit to be extended as I should have gotten the permit for 3 years based on my program duration.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Pg work permit expiry

Hi

Mk12345 said:
Hi,

I had applied for my pg work permit after I graduated from McGill May 2016. My program duration was for 2 years but I completed in 16 months. Unfortuantley my pg work permit was only granted for 16 months( duration of program completion) which expires October 31st 2017. I had applied for my permit outside Canada (Lagos, Nigeria). I am currently working full time in my field of study. Can I apply for my pg work permit to be extended as I should have gotten the permit for 3 years based on my program duration.
1. Probably not.

A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of your studies in Canada.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

As you studied 16 months.

wagnerkurz

Jan 23, 2017
PGWP can be extended to the full amount if your passport is expiring. Just apply for a new one (Confirmed from CIC) im currently waiting on mine . and it expired last month still working under implied status. Funny enough tried to show my boss when i got hired , he didnt even bother to look at it.

Im not sure what OP wants to do but if he has the full three years i doubt it can get extended without an LMIA and even then its no longer a PGWP just an Open work permit.
Hi Tonero,
Do you remember which information you've provided on for IMM5710E - Personal Details/ Current Status in Canada - Student or Worker?
Thanks