+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I claim EI?

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Seniors

I am in a typical messy situation:

1. I have a work permit valid till August 2013.
2. I just got an information today that my assignment is getting over and I have to leave Canada by Feb
3. I applied for PR under CEC and received the AOR.
4. But I cannot apply for BOWP as I have more than 4 month's left on WP (though I will give it a shot)
5. Over last one year numerous companies have refused to hire me as they didn't want to get a LMO and I assume it will be no different now. I do have documentation to support that.
6. So in current scenario I have to wait till April (at least) to apply for a BOWP and start working.
7. I have been paying for EI uninterruptedly since September 2012.

So in this current scenario am I eligible for EI till April given that:
1. My assignment will get over and probably I will lose the job from my Canadian employer.
2. I have applied for PR and (would have tried) for BOWP and (most likely) rejected.
3. I have paid EI since Sep 2012.

Going through the Service Canada website made me feel that people like me i.e. those with SIN starting with 9 still qualify for EI but I want opinion of the seniors on that.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TFW's applying for EI is a hit and miss depending on the location. They are often denied based on being unable to take any job that comes along because they need an LMO.

Try for the open bridging work permit listing your reasons as your assignment ending and you being let go while unable to get EI due to a closed work permit. If you don't get it, then try for EI in February based on that you have applied for PR and will have an open work permit by April. If you don't get it, I guess you'll have to survive until April somehow.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Leon said:
TFW's applying for EI is a hit and miss depending on the location. They are often denied based on being unable to take any job that comes along because they need an LMO.

Try for the open bridging work permit listing your reasons as your assignment ending and you being let go while unable to get EI due to a closed work permit. If you don't get it, then try for EI in February based on that you have applied for PR and will have an open work permit by April. If you don't get it, I guess you'll have to survive until April somehow.
Thanks I will apply for BOWP with the reasons mentioned above and try my luck.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
I was in a similar situation:

Closed work permit until Sept 2014
Laid off in sept 2013
Applied for CEC PR in Jan 2013

My process:
I applied for EI
I then applied for BOWP and explained the reasons why
I then took my BOWP online acknowledgement letter and my AOR to Service Canada (they need to see your work permit too).

I was expecting to get the BOWP and not get EI but it was the other way round:
My BOWP got rejected and my EI was approved.

Updated OB485a released sept 19 makes it a lot clearer to visa officers that they should reject people who don't fit criteria - before they were being quite lenient. I still know of people who got it despite having more than 4 months so it's a gamble on which officer you get.

It's crazy if you think about it - I am not allowed to work but I am allowed to receive benefits because I'm not working ::)