+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I change employer on a closed work permit?

Segolene

Sep 20, 2017
Hi everyone,

I would like to have your experience on that matter.

Has anyone of you already changed employers under a closed work permit?

Basically, the position I have has nothing to do with what I was hired for. I was not properly trained and the pressure is unbearable. They know I can't leave because I "need" them in order to stay in Canada. I would like to find a solution.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Sego

Reactions: yosoyjx

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
In short, no, you can not leave that job to take another elsewhere. In order for you to do that you would first need another employer to get a different closed working permit for you or you would need to procure an open work permit. Neither of those scenarios are very likely.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Basically, the position I have has nothing to do with what I was hired for. I was not properly trained and the pressure is unbearable. They know I can't leave because I "need" them in order to stay in Canada. I would like to find a solution.

Sego
No - you cannot switch. Your close work permit entitles you to work for your current employer only. If you want to work for a new employer, first step is to secure a new job offer and for your new employer to obtain an approved LMIA. You must then apply for a new closed work permit and receive that approved work permit before you can begin working for your new employer.

Segolene

Sep 20, 2017
Thank you all. It seems like a difficult process.

There is nothing that protect the employee when they are asked to perform duties that are not hired to do?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you all. It seems like a difficult process.

There is nothing that protect the employee when they are asked to perform duties that are not hired to do?
No pretty much nothing to protect you. "Closed" permit means you are allowed to work for that 1 employer only. If the company were to fire you, or you quit, that would then effectively end your work permit and you would need to leave Canada shortly after or convert your status to something else (like visitor).

Agreed it gives lots of power to the employer, but that is the way it is.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
No pretty much nothing to protect you. "Closed" permit means you are allowed to work for that 1 employer only. If the company were to fire you, or you quit, that would then effectively end your work permit and you would need to leave Canada shortly after or convert your status to something else (like visitor).

Agreed it gives lots of power to the employer, but that is the way it is.
Although if the company is found to be unethical towards the employee (as required in terms of LMIA) they could be banned from hiring temporary workers

pepsbn

Oct 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

Sego
could you able to do that? if so, how long did it take?

pepsbn

Oct 1, 2018
In short, no, you can not leave that job to take another elsewhere. In order for you to do that you would first need another employer to get a different closed working permit for you or you would need to procure an open work permit. Neither of those scenarios are very likely.
how long does it take to change the employer?

MSAB

Mar 6, 2019
Hello,
Posting for the first time.....Need suggestions

I'm on closed work permit (Calgary Alberta) and my closed work permit will get expired in October 2019.
The issue is my current organization is took over by someone, now the company name and all the legal registrations have been changed.
Although all the staff members are same and nature of work is also same.
Within couple of weeks the new employer will officially take over the organization

Now what will be the situation for my work permit?
What should i do now?

Thanks in advance...

Tacho

Nov 19, 2019
Hi!

Im working with a closed work permit but I have an offer from another company and they're willing to give me an LMIA, its possible for me to change?

And what I need to do to make the process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

Im working with a closed work permit but I have an offer from another company and they're willing to give me an LMIA, its possible for me to change?

And what I need to do to make the process?
You need a new closed work permit. The first step is for your new employer to obtain an approved LMIA - you can then apply for the new closed work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you can start working for your new employer.

Tacho

Nov 19, 2019
Once the new employer gets the approved LMIA there is some risk for me if the new work permit is rejected for any reason?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once the new employer gets the approved LMIA there is some risk for me if the new work permit is rejected for any reason?
Sure there is always a risk. It can also be a long process. Does your new potential employer even have an LMIA they should apply to see if they get approved first before making up your mind.

Jan 13, 2020
I came in the closed work permit, if I get a new offer what will be my notices period it will be my notice period of my Toronto (2 weeks) or notice period of my home country(3 months)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I came in the closed work permit, if I get a new offer what will be my notices period it will be my notice period of my Toronto (2 weeks) or notice period of my home country(3 months)
1. Your in Canada, 2 weeks.

How much notice is required to quit a job in Ontario?
Section 58 states that to terminate employment an employee must give the employer a written notice of termination of at least one week if the employee has been employed between three months to two years, or at least two weeks if the employee has been employed for longer than two years.May 7, 2015