+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can a canadian PR work in usa , does he need a visa

Discussion in 'Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration' started by boss2009, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. does a canadian PR require a visa to go to USA
    does a canadian PR require a visqa to work in usa

    same questions for a canadian citizen
  2. yes for both. If you want to live in the US rather than Canada, why don't you apply to the US directly. I am in the US now, jobs are hard to come by but the good news is that H1B visa is easy to get.
  3. Hi Rupesh,

    i heard there are probs with H1Bs through consulting companies... Direct employment is getting harder by the day for aliens in US. but, ur point is valid... if u want to work in US, why apply for Canada
  4. A Canadian PR gets you absolutely no rights in the US. A Canadian citizenship opens the door to getting a TN/NAFTA visa if your occupation is on the NAFTA list, see http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/nafta_professions.asp
  5. i guess in canada one needs canadian certifications n job exp. for work.. thats y boss2009 is thinking of this option.that is going to US for work.
  6. Whatever the reason, it seems like he wants to live/work in the US but wants to find out if Canadian PR or citizenship will help him do that. The short answer is no. If you want to work in the US, get a visa for the US. Canadian PR will not help except as a backup in case the work visa in the US is not renewed, moving to Canada could be a better option to him rather than going home. Still, using Canadian PR as a backup is also dependent on not being away from Canada too long because then he will lose the PR he'd already have waited for and paid money to get. As for getting Canadian citizenship, that's at least a 4 year process after getting PR so it's a question if he's ready to do that just for the right to be able to get a NAFTA visa to the US if his profession qualifies him for that.
  7. Just to clarify, NAFTA status is available to Mexicans and Canadians, but only Mexicans require visas. Canadians will get their NAFTA status at POE without a visa by bringing along the required documentation.

    Canadian PRs do not, as has previously been stated, have any additional rights whatsoever in the U.S.A.
  8. This is awesome! Thanks for this link, Leon.

  9. You can apply under TN visa as a Canadian citizen in increments of 3 years, but it will not allow you to immigrate to U.S. permanently. You need to be on H1-B for that first. It is only good if you want to JUST work in the States, supposedly "indefinitely". The downside to the U.S. immigration is that you need to wait for a good 6-7 years (and sometimes less) in order to get the GC. The upside is that once you have a U.S. GC, you can work anywhere in the whole United States. The upside to the Canadian PR is you get it without having employment status in Canada. The downside is that the market is much smaller than U.S., yet the lifestyle is very similar. In fact, UN classifies Canada above U.S. in terms of lifestyle and happiness index.

  10. Again: Canadians do not need a visa for NAFTA status. Do not confuse a visa with status, in the same way you should not confuse a TRV with visitor status for Canada...

    H1-B does not give you residency any more than NAFTA status does. The only difference is that H1-B allows for dual intent, i.e., it is permissible to be on that temporary status while intending to immigrate permanently, whereas NAFTA status is not dual intent so you are not supposed to intend to stay permanently.

    There is nothing "indefinite" with H1-B status as it is only renewable once, so you won't get more than a total of 6 years on it.

    What do you mean that you have to wait 6-7 years for a green card? Just like with Canadian PR, waiting times vary drastically between different categories and preferences ranks, so a random number like that does not really relate to anyone's specific situation.
  11. TN visa is issued on the POE but one can be denied if you don't have a strong enough case.
    H1b give you an easy path to GC, you have extend H1b after 6 years if you GC application in pending with USCIS.

    Canadian PR holder will need visa to visit US but US GC holder can visit Canada, can get visa on the Canadian POE.

    Canadian, US and Mexican Citizens qualify under NAFTA and are eligible to apply for TN visa.
    Hope this helps.
  12. Commonwealth,

    You are still confused and giving incorrect information. Canadian citizens are NOT issued visas at the border, nor is any other nationality. Only diplomatic posts issues visas. Canadian citizens can, however, be given NAFTA (TN) STATUS at the border, which is a stamp in the passport. There is NO visa. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

    H1-B does not give you any rights to PR whatsoever. Neither does NAFTA status. Both are non-immigrant categories, though H1-B allows dual intent, i.e. you are a non-immigrant but are allowed to have the intention of eventually immigrating despite this. You must still find another category to immigrate under and the H1-B itself is not this category.

    Canadian PR holders need a visa to visit the U.S.A.? Whether you need a visa to visit the U.S.A. depends on your CITIZENSHIP, and your PR or lack of PR status in Canada makes no difference whatsoever. I'm a Swedish citizen and Canadian PR holder, and I visit the U.S.A. all the time under the visa-waiver program.

    Nobody can get a visa at the Canadian border. Green card holders may be able to enter Canada without a visa, depending on their citizenship.

    Canadian and U.S. citizens do not normally need visas to enter each other's countries under NAFTA status. There may be exceptions, such as persons convicted of certain crimes, but there are unusual circumstances and exceptions to the rule.

    Commonwealth, I believe you are trying to help, but you are posting an enormous amount of falsehoods here. Please do not post any more false information as you clearly have little or no knowledge on the subject.

    I don't wish to offend you, but it is important to post this so nobody ends up with the wrong information and believing they can or cannot do something contrary to reality.
  13. Karlshammar,

    1- I don't know where you got word "Right" under H1b, If you read my previous message clearly, i said "path" which i am sure you know the difference?
    2- Regarding visa on the border- let me ask this, a British passport holder visiting US and then traveling to Canada, where will he get visa from?
    3- Canadian citizen has entry into US but under line status is "visitor" which is usually for 6 months. Canadian or US citizens do require TN status to work in respective counties which can be denied at the border.....

    I am just trying to give information. I suggest to lookup more details on H1b. You can work beyond 6 years if you have pending GC application?

    BTW, how would you compare working in both counties (US and Canada)?
  14. 1. It is not a path to residency, it's something to do while you are trying to find a path to residency.
    2. He will not. British citizens do not require visitor visas for either the U.S. or Canada. And the people who do require visas cannot get them at the border, they must get them at a diplomatic post.
    3. I agree when you say TN status, not TN visa. Huge and very important difference. Of course it can be denied; you can always be denied unless you are a PR or citizen.

    If you are in the U.S.A. and apply for adjustment of status (in-country) processing you can stay in the country while your application is being processed (there are exceptions, but not relevant to a forum on Canadian immigration). This is not something unique to H1-B status; it applies no matter what status you had when you first applied.
  15. Actually, US Green card holders are visa exempt to visit Canada, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp where it says:


Share This Page