+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

buying house in Canada (new immigrant)

jassee

Aug 24, 2010
Hi All,

Just wondering to find out if it will be difficult to buy a house for new immigrant (to get mortgage), or this may be easy if have 20-25% deposit.

Thanks.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jassee said:
Hi All,

Just wondering to find out if it will be difficult to buy a house for new immigrant (to get mortgage), or this may be easy if have 20-25% deposit.

Thanks.
if you are employed i would suggest you visit your bank and see what they can do for you.

jassee

Aug 24, 2010
Actually immigrating from UK with a very good credit history and also deposit may be 20-25%, As moving in Feb end so have no employment yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The deposit is a good thing. Unfortunately you effectively lose your credit score when you move and have to rebuild it from scratch. You will most likely have to have a permanent job before a bank will be willing to give you a mortgage.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't necessary have to have a permanent job before a bank to give you a mortgage. A friend of mine who has been working in China, had his mortgage broker to net him a mortgage to close his purchase of a town home here in Vancouver, BC.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi jassee If you are arriving and have permanent resident status in Canada you can purchase Real Estate with 25% and your credit history from UK,Honkong,Australia,US and any other country belonging to the United Kingdom it will be useful (it is not valid in Canada) but it will be useful because it shows of you pattern of credit.
If you don't have permanent status then you will need 35% and up to buy,anybody can own Real Estate in Canada as long as they have more than 35%.
I'm a Realtor since 2002 and working in the GTA.
If you have any question or to see properties and have an idea visit my site alrivas. com.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
One last thing the interest rate is the discount rate not the posted.

Mar 26, 2015
ALRIVAS said:
Hi jassee If you are arriving and have permanent resident status in Canada you can purchase Real Estate with 25% and your credit history from UK,Honkong,Australia,US and any other country belonging to the United Kingdom it will be useful (it is not valid in Canada) but it will be useful because it shows of you pattern of credit.
If you don't have permanent status then you will need 35% and up to buy,anybody can own Real Estate in Canada as long as they have more than 35%.
I'm a Realtor since 2002 and working in the GTA.
If you have any question or to see properties and have an idea visit my site alrivas. com.
So how much would it cost for a two roomed apartment the total. then I can look at the 35% of that.....
I am not rich, but would like to see how much I have to save in order to buy a good apartment. :D :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canadadreams123 said:
So how much would it cost for a two roomed apartment the total. then I can look at the 35% of that.....
I am not rich, but would like to see how much I have to save in order to buy a good apartment. :D :D
It really depends where you plan to live, how new a building you want and how nice an apartment you want. I sold a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown Toronto for around $425K three years ago. My building was not a new building and prices have increased since then. Note that the $425K would not be the total cost of the purchase. You would still have to factor in legal costs, property transfer taxes, etc.

You can search the following web site for properties that are for sale to get an idea of prices:

http://www.realtor.ca/

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a) Property Search
You can check online at realtor.ca for properties based on area/bedrooms/etc. I am a real estate professional; I can help you in this search also, you can reach out to me by email anytime you like. Before purchasing, if you'd like to find a temporary rental house/apartment, I can help you with that also.

b) Mortgage/Financing
Best would be to speak to a bank professional to talk to them about specifics. Generally, 25% down is seen as positive, but a mortgage professional would be better able to advise you.