Interview........
none
Passport Req..
20-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
Long story short, I worked for a studio for almost a year, Left my job because of the dodgy feeling down there and the abuse like no paying extra time, benefits and stuff like that, payments always late (like 1.5 months twice)... Now it is TAX SEASON!!! and ex-boss told me I didn't need a T4 because I was hired as a contractor, which was NOT TRUE since I do have my full time employment contract. after I let him know that he told me he will give me my T4 if I repay him and so he can submit the taxes in my behalf. Any advice?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
artecita said:
Long story short, I worked for a studio for almost a year, Left my job because of the dodgy feeling down there and the abuse like no paying extra time, benefits and stuff like that, payments always late (like 1.5 months twice)... Now it is TAX SEASON!!! and ex-boss told me I didn't need a T4 because I was hired as a contractor, which was NOT TRUE since I do have my full time employment contract. after I let him know that he told me he will give me my T4 if I repay him and so he can submit the taxes in my behalf. Any advice?
First of all, he is required bylaw to submit T4 to CRA before February 28th and also give a copy of your T4 to the employee meaning you. Also he is not allowed to ask you for money for taxes which was supposed to be paid by him when he submits payroll remittances every month.

If you check your paystubs, EI and CPP including income taxes should be deducted from your wages unless your employer has been paying you without any taxes deducted.

You can report him to the labour department and call CRA to see if they can give your copy of the T4

artecita

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-CTD-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
send with application
Med's Request
02-06-2015
Med's Done....
15-06-2015
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
20-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
Thank you for your response, I ended up asking CRA for instructions on how to proceed and it ended up in us making a complaint. Basically he screwed me over and I now have to make my taxes with my bank statements cause the prick didn't gave us any pay stubs nor anything, just cheques and in some cases cash, I never accepted cash but some of my coworkers did. I was told to stop talking to him and just make sure to go to my accountant and he will try to deduct the best he can from what he pay me. OFC I still owe CRA and it's fine, I just want my papers to be nicely done and forget about this guy. Still, since I did complain they will go and check on him and see what is happening.
Lesson learned, do your homework and research who are you applying for!!!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
artecita said:
Thank you for your response, I ended up asking CRA for instructions on how to proceed and it ended up in us making a complaint. Basically he screwed me over and I now have to make my taxes with my bank statements cause the prick didn't gave us any pay stubs nor anything, just cheques and in some cases cash, I never accepted cash but some of my coworkers did. I was told to stop talking to him and just make sure to go to my accountant and he will try to deduct the best he can from what he pay me. OFC I still owe CRA and it's fine, I just want my papers to be nicely done and forget about this guy. Still, since I did complain they will go and check on him and see what is happening.
Lesson learned, do your homework and research who are you applying for!!!!
You might want to talk to a lawyer, if you end up having to pay your taxes yourself, you will be out a LOT of money. It's too soon to say what will happen, but if you have a contract, you should have a lawyer look it over.

You might also want to see if you can file a complaint with IRCC, if you and the others were taken advantage of because you were foreign workers.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/list.asp

artecita

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-CTD-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
send with application
Med's Request
02-06-2015
Med's Done....
15-06-2015
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
20-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
jes_ON said:
You might want to talk to a lawyer, if you end up having to pay your taxes yourself, you will be out a LOT of money. It's too soon to say what will happen, but if you have a contract, you should have a lawyer look it over.

You might also want to see if you can file a complaint with IRCC, if you and the others were taken advantage of because you were foreign workers.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/list.asp
That is a very good advice, I did already file the complaint and CRA (they specifically connected me with the complaints department and might ask for a copy of my contract to verify everything) also told me that I do need to pay them directly after filing my taxes and to avoid giving him any money since it would make no difference because he already missed the payments and he needs to pay penalties for that which probably will make me pay for. I am expecting a decent amount ofc and I am no worried about paying that since it is money that should had been paid in the first place, luckily I did have savings and I am prepared for the bite. Sadly I think this person did several mistakes not just with my stuff but with other coworkers as well so I am waiting to see what is next after my accountant reviews everything :/

I will definetly find a lawyer to advice me on this, hopefully everything ends in me paying my part and them leaving me alone for CRA to continue the fight with this guy... I am honestly very tired... but hey.. I did learn a very valuable lesson!!!
Thank you again for the advice :)