+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Ways & Time to Find Job in Canada while Applying from the US

BanglaBoy

Sep 27, 2012
Michigan, USA
I'd appreciate if I could get enlightened regarding the best ways someone living in the US with a US Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering (graduation in April 2018) and 1+ year of internship experience could land with job offers from legitimate employers in Canada with LMIA. Since I haven't graduated yet, what would be the best time to start applying for jobs in Canada & the best websites for job search in Canada? I'd also appreciate important tips & know-hows regarding this topic. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's honestly going to be next to impossible to find a job that requires an LMIA. The vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the expense and wait time of obtaining an LMIA - especially given there's no guarantee of approval. Given you have only internship experience, it's going to be pretty difficult to prove the employer couldn't find a Canadian for the role (an employer must prove this in order for the LMIA to be approved).

I would also encourage you to research what it takes to work as an engineer in Canada. You won't be able to do that with the degree you're getting now in the US. You'll need to go through the process of being certified in Canada. That might be a good thing to research first before you start making further plans.

Reactions: BanglaBoy

BanglaBoy

Sep 27, 2012
Michigan, USA
It's honestly going to be next to impossible to find a job that requires an LMIA. The vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the expense and wait time of obtaining an LMIA - especially given there's no guarantee of approval. Given you have only internship experience, it's going to be pretty difficult to prove the employer couldn't find a Canadian for the role (an employer must prove this in order for the LMIA to be approved).

I would also encourage you to research what it takes to work as an engineer in Canada. You won't be able to do that with the degree you're getting now in the US. You'll need to go through the process of being certified in Canada. That might be a good thing to research first before you start making further plans.
Thanks for the insight!