+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BECOMING A REGISTERED NURSE (RN) OR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (LPN) IN CANADA

cndacalling

Aug 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Hmisabpk,

100 of thumbs up for such a wonderful & Informative things your are bringing for us. Like Other i have some queries regarding RN and RPN

1. Can any student how have done 3 year diploma or 4 year degree in NURSING in india is eligible for CRNE??
2. You have mentioned list of approved institutes/Univ CNO. lhttp://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/about-registration/approved-nursing-programs/rn-programs/) but is only shows the approved institutes or univ. not programs that are approved. Does it mean all the program related to nursing of these univ or institutes are approved?
3. There are two exams 1st is CRNE and 2nd is Jurisprudence exam? Does applicant have pay both exam fee at the same time?? with membership fee and Application for evaluation?? is it that you have to pay evaluation fee then CRNE fee , after that next exam fee i.e. Jurisprudence exam and lastly membership fee?
4. Can an applicant on study permit eligible for appearing the exam ?? or applicant who is at least PGWP is eligible?
5. and my at last Student usually have 6.5 overall band to get admission in PG diploma course in SPP institutes and for post secondary one need 6 overall band, but on CNO or in your few post direct to site in which to be eligible for CRNE exam is 6.5 band minimum and for BC one need overall 7 bands..Does applicant MUST have 6.5 band?? although it seems to be a silly question but just want to confirm you once.....I wish you will clear these questions for me and for many more international students....Thanks

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2013fsw2174 said:
Hi hmisabpk,

I have applied for FSW 2013 for NOC 2174 and got my PER on Aug 9th.
I am guessing it will take another 4-5 months minimum for me to get visa and land in Canada.
My wife hold Bsc Nursing Degree from India and has around 4 years of experience in India and Saudi Arabia.
What I wanted to know from you is, anything that I can do to start the registration process?
We intend to land in Toronto( purely based on job opportunities for me, may change this later) so is there anything that we can do for registration process before landing?
Can you please suggest what are the steps for registration?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Hi

You can start the application process by filling the online request at link below.

https://www.cno.org/en/iframes-for-web-apps/application-package-request/

You may find the all steps which you need to start on this link:

http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/outside-canada/

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
My sister is a RN and wants to come and work in canada, whats the process of applying as an international nurse?

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cndacalling said:
Dear Mr. Hmisabpk,

100 of thumbs up for such a wonderful & Informative things your are bringing for us. Like Other i have some queries regarding RN and RPN

1. Can any student how have done 3 year diploma or 4 year degree in NURSING in india is eligible for CRNE??
2. You have mentioned list of approved institutes/Univ CNO. lhttp://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/about-registration/approved-nursing-programs/rn-programs/) but is only shows the approved institutes or univ. not programs that are approved. Does it mean all the program related to nursing of these univ or institutes are approved?
3. There are two exams 1st is CRNE and 2nd is Jurisprudence exam? Does applicant have pay both exam fee at the same time?? with membership fee and Application for evaluation?? is it that you have to pay evaluation fee then CRNE fee , after that next exam fee i.e. Jurisprudence exam and lastly membership fee?
4. Can an applicant on study permit eligible for appearing the exam ?? or applicant who is at least PGWP is eligible?
5. and my at last Student usually have 6.5 overall band to get admission in PG diploma course in SPP institutes and for post secondary one need 6 overall band, but on CNO or in your few post direct to site in which to be eligible for CRNE exam is 6.5 band minimum and for BC one need overall 7 bands..Does applicant MUST have 6.5 band?? although it seems to be a silly question but just want to confirm you once.....I wish you will clear these questions for me and for many more international students....Thanks

Hi
Thanks for nice words!!

Please find the replies below :

1. Yes - 3 Diploma nurse may need to attend the bridging program or Practical nurse exam, 4 years degree is directly eligible to attend
2. If the institute is approved than of course programs also approved
3. The answer is here: (first one is included in evaluation, Jurisprudence exam fee is $ 40.00) http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/about-registration/entry-to-practice-examinations/jurisprudence-examination/frequently-asked-questions-jurisprudence-examinations/
4. I don't think so, still you can write them and ask the CNO : cno@cnomail.org / Fax +1 416 928-6507 or call +1 416 928-0900
5. It is 7 band : http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/accepted-language-proficiency-tests/

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gosia said:
My sister is a RN and wants to come and work in canada, whats the process of applying as an international nurse?

Hi

If she want to apply for immigration Check here if she is eligible:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#jobs

If she need to apply for nursing registration check the process on this link :
http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/outside-canada/

hope that helps,

hmisabpk

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

wishingstar

Mar 4, 2013
Hi Hmisabpk,

Thanks for the very informative posts. I am BSN 4yr graduate but unfortunately not a registered in my home country and Im working as a Dental Assistant here in UAE. My question is am I eligible to take RN exam in Canada without my license in my home country? I am planning and willing to write an exam early next year if it really needs to because I really wanted to pursue my nursing profession in Canada if God forbids.

Hope to hear from u soon.. Thanks in advance!:)

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wishingstar said:
Hi Hmisabpk,

Thanks for the very informative posts. I am BSN 4yr graduate but unfortunately not a registered in my home country and Im working as a Dental Assistant here in UAE. My question is am I eligible to take RN exam in Canada without my license in my home country? I am planning and willing to write an exam early next year if it really needs to because I really wanted to pursue my nursing profession in Canada if God forbids.

Hope to hear from u soon.. Thanks in advance!:)

Hi Wishingstar,

Thank you for nice words.

You can send your application for registration it most likely will be considered to attend bridging program or to be illegible to re- attended BSN in Canada (20 month), as you are not registered and not practicing ( as per CNO requirement # 4)

For registration as RN or determine to appear in RN exam the requirement are following :

Registration Requirements for RNs and RPNs

During the first stage of the registration process, the College evaluates each applicant to determine whether they meet the following registration requirements. Applicants who do not meet the registration requirements can request a review of their application by the Registration Committee.

1. Complete a nursing program.
You must demonstrate successful completion of a nursing program designed to prepare graduates for the category (RN or RPN) to which you are applying.

2. Complete the registration examination.
You must successfully complete the registration examination approved by the College for the category (RN or RPN) to which you are applying. Note the exam can only be written at a designated testing site within Canada.

3. Complete the jurisprudence examination.
You must successfully complete the RN/RPN Jurisprudence Examination. This online exam assesses an applicant’s awareness and understanding of the legislative and regulatory framework

4. Provide evidence of nursing practice.
You must demonstrate, within the three years prior to the issuance of a certificate of registration, evidence of practice for the category (RN or RPN) in which you are applying.

Evidence of practice can be demonstrated by:

• successful completion of a nursing program for the category to which you are applying or
• practice experience as an RN or RPN (your past practice must be relevant to the category to which you are applying) or
• successful completion of additional training, experience, examinations or assessments within a time frame specified by the College.

5. Demonstrate language proficiency in either English or French.
You must provide evidence that you are proficient in English or French.

6. Provide proof of citizenship, permanent residency or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada).

7. Complete a Declaration of Registration Requirements.
You must complete the Declaration of Registration Requirements as part of the application process.
(CNO - Page last reviewed August 07, 2013)

Further information how to apply please visit CNO page at : http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/

Hope that Help,

hmisabpk

jubes

Apr 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/07/2011
IELTS Request
SUBMITTED WITH FILE 8 OVERALL
Hi
I gave CRNE exam one and half year ago from Ontario board (CNO) and got cleared on first attempt we sent all required document except the residency part which we don't have and is closed now??
I want to immigrate to Quebec now . My question is can i transfer my exam result from Ontario to Quebec and how, Or i have to give exam again. :'(

How long does it takes to register as nurse in Quebec i have ten years of experience and Have ( RGN, RCN, MSc Nursing and RNT) licences from Ireland

Or there is any other way ...

Thanks in advance.

wishingstar

Mar 4, 2013
hmisabpk said:
Hi Wishingstar,

Thank you for nice words.

You can send your application for registration it most likely will be considered to attend bridging program or to be illegible to re- attended BSN in Canada (20 month), as you are not registered and not practicing ( as per CNO requirement # 4)

For registration as RN or determine to appear in RN exam the requirement are following :

Registration Requirements for RNs and RPNs

During the first stage of the registration process, the College evaluates each applicant to determine whether they meet the following registration requirements. Applicants who do not meet the registration requirements can request a review of their application by the Registration Committee.

1. Complete a nursing program.
You must demonstrate successful completion of a nursing program designed to prepare graduates for the category (RN or RPN) to which you are applying.

2. Complete the registration examination.
You must successfully complete the registration examination approved by the College for the category (RN or RPN) to which you are applying. Note the exam can only be written at a designated testing site within Canada.

3. Complete the jurisprudence examination.
You must successfully complete the RN/RPN Jurisprudence Examination. This online exam assesses an applicant's awareness and understanding of the legislative and regulatory framework

4. Provide evidence of nursing practice.
You must demonstrate, within the three years prior to the issuance of a certificate of registration, evidence of practice for the category (RN or RPN) in which you are applying.

Evidence of practice can be demonstrated by:

• successful completion of a nursing program for the category to which you are applying or
• practice experience as an RN or RPN (your past practice must be relevant to the category to which you are applying) or
• successful completion of additional training, experience, examinations or assessments within a time frame specified by the College.

5. Demonstrate language proficiency in either English or French.
You must provide evidence that you are proficient in English or French.

6. Provide proof of citizenship, permanent residency or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada).

7. Complete a Declaration of Registration Requirements.
You must complete the Declaration of Registration Requirements as part of the application process.
(CNO - Page last reviewed August 07, 2013)

Further information how to apply please visit CNO page at : http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/

Hope that Help,

hmisabpk
Thanks for this! My question now is, will it be better for me to passed the local exam and get a licensed in my home country for a better nursing job in Canada or no? I'm asking this because, I can ask my employer to write in my COE that I am a nurse in our company. TIA :)

Regards,

Wishingstar

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jubes said:
Hi
I gave CRNE exam one and half year ago from Ontario board (CNO) and got cleared on first attempt we sent all required document except the residency part which we don't have and is closed now??
I want to immigrate to Quebec now . My question is can i transfer my exam result from Ontario to Quebec and how, Or i have to give exam again. :'(
How long does it takes to register as nurse in Quebec i have ten years of experience and Have ( RGN, RCN, MSc Nursing and RNT) licences from Ireland
Or there is any other way ...
Thanks in advance.
Hi Jubes,

1.It could be possible to transfer exam result from one province to another as CRNE exam is a national examination.
You need to request the both colleges for transfer. Contact details are below

ONTARIO
College of Nurses of Ontario
101 Davenport Road
Toronto ON M5R 3P1
Tel/Tél. : 1-800-387-5526 / (416) 928-0900
Fax/Télécopieur : (416) 928-6507
E-mail/Courriel : cno@cnomail.org
http://www.cno.org/
QUÉBEC
Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec
4200, boul. Dorchester Ouest
Montréal QC H3Z 1V4
Tel/Tél. : (514) 935-2501 / 1-800-363-6048
Fax/Télécopieur : (514) 935-1799
E-mail/Courriel : inf@oiiq.org
http://www.oiiq.org/

2. I’m not sure how long the process will take, it is depend on how fast the documentation they will be able to receive. Check on their website time table.

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wishingstar said:
Thanks for this! My question now is, will it be better for me to passed the local exam and get a licensed in my home country for a better nursing job in Canada or no? I'm asking this because, I can ask my employer to write in my COE that I am a nurse in our company. TIA :)
Regards,
Wishingstar
Hi wishingstar,

Most employers are not caring about back home experience or registration, they “prefer only Canadian education, registration and working experience”
If you will complete all requirements in back home still no guaranty to get better job in Nursing in Canada until you have to clear their requirement of registration / exam, bridging program etc…

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

wishingstar

Mar 4, 2013
That clears my confusion! Thanks a ton hmisabpk. Hope to hear more from u again soon. ;)
hmisabpk said:
Hi wishingstar,

Most employers are not caring about back home experience or registration, they “prefer only Canadian education, registration and working experience”
If you will complete all requirements in back home still no guaranty to get better job in Nursing in Canada until you have to clear their requirement of registration / exam, bridging program etc...

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

Saddia

Oct 28, 2013
Hi to every one ,

I want to get information That i want to study in BSC NURSING from canada .any one can tell me which college or university is good .I'm from pakistan .i will wait for you kind and precious reply PLEASE.Also tell me what will be the subjects in the bsc nursing .And what will be the starting salary?What is the difference between Bachelor of nursing & Bsc nursing?

I will be very much thankful to you.
waiting for the best reply

prinsesa

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
riyadh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
march 6, 2013
Doc's Request.
march 6, 2013
AOR Received.
march 9, 2013
Med's Request
march 19, 2013
Passport Req..
in gods time
Hi guys just want to ask if I would apply for exam in ontario . It is ok if my visa is under live in caregiver visa? Can I take exam eventhough my visa is not permanent visa? Pls help

lecter

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
prinsesa said:
Hi guys just want to ask if I would apply for exam in ontario . It is ok if my visa is under live in caregiver visa? Can I take exam eventhough my visa is not permanent visa? Pls help
yes, u may take the licensure exam
check: no: 6

http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/outside-canada/registration-requirements-for-rns-and-rpns/