+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC health

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
My understanding is that there is a 3 month wait to get BC health. Is that for everyone? A maximum wait? minimum wait? I'm so worried because getting private insurance for 3 months is a lot of money.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
mrcanada said:
My understanding is that there is a 3 month wait to get BC health. Is that for everyone? A maximum wait? minimum wait? I'm so worried because getting private insurance for 3 months is a lot of money.
Three months for everyone, not less, not more.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
polara69 said:
Three months for everyone, not less, not more.
Incorrect. The wait period for BC MSP is the balance of the month in which the person qualified plus 2 months. A person who qualifies on the 1st of the month will wait 3 months; a person who qualifies on the 30th of the month will really only have to wait 2 months.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. The wait period for BC MSP is the balance of the month in which the person qualified plus 2 months. A person who qualifies on the 1st of the month will wait 3 months; a person who qualifies on the 30th of the month will really only have to wait 2 months.
Correct, if you want to split hair...but there is still a wait time of at least 2 months. So OP needs to fork out some money, if s/he wants insurance.

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
polara69 said:
Correct, if you want to split hair...but there is still a wait time of at least 2 months. So OP needs to fork out some money, if s/he wants insurance.
Does anyone knwo a good insurance company? I was looking at BCAA Visitor to Canada. Someone mentioned that RBC has a good policy as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
polara69 said:
Not splitting hairs, simply posting the correct information.

mrcanada said:
Does anyone knwo a good insurance company? I was looking at BCAA Visitor to Canada. Someone mentioned that RBC has a good policy as well.
Looking at your posts, you aren't in Canada and haven't applied for PR yet. The waiting period starts once you qualify for MSP. You will not qualify just because you are come here and have a Canadian spouse.

BC MSP has a publication "Covering a Spouse or Child who is an Applicant for Permanent Resident Status in Canada", however it is notoriously hard to get the proof that they ask for, so don't count on it. There have been VERY few people on here who have managed to fight and win against MSP for this; it took me months and a formal complaint to the Minister of Health to get coverage for my partner. Most inland applicants have had to wait for AIP to get coverage.

MSP generally gives coverage to work permit holders who meet certain conditions; I haven't yet seen any posts from people applying for MSP with a pilot program OWP, so I don't know if it will be an issue or not. If it's not an issue and you are granted an OWP 4 months after applying, you would not get MSP until serving the wait period AFTER getting the OWP; assuming you submit your inland app as soon as you get here, you would be looking at around 7 months until you have coverage (optimistically). Of course, it is entirely possible that you will not be granted an OWP due to your ongoing criminality issue, meaning a much longer wait for coverage.

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Not splitting hairs, simply posting the correct information.

Looking at your posts, you aren't in Canada and haven't applied for PR yet. The waiting period starts once you qualify for MSP. You will not qualify just because you are come here and have a Canadian spouse.

BC MSP has a publication "Covering a Spouse or Child who is an Applicant for Permanent Resident Status in Canada", however it is notoriously hard to get the proof that they ask for, so don't count on it. There have been VERY few people on here who have managed to fight and win against MSP for this; it took me months and a formal complaint to the Minister of Health to get coverage for my partner. Most inland applicants have had to wait for AIP to get coverage.

MSP generally gives coverage to work permit holders who meet certain conditions; I haven't yet seen any posts from people applying for MSP with a pilot program OWP, so I don't know if it will be an issue or not. If it's not an issue and you are granted an OWP 4 months after applying, you would not get MSP until serving the wait period AFTER getting the OWP; assuming you submit your inland app as soon as you get here, you would be looking at around 7 months until you have coverage (optimistically). Of course, it is entirely possible that you will not be granted an OWP due to your ongoing criminality issue, meaning a much longer wait for coverage.
wow you just know everything. These is no more criminality issue going on as I was acquitted and appeal was dismissed. In regards to health coverage, I was asking more for my daughter who is a Canadian citizen and moving to Canada with my wife next month, I know that there is a wait period also for Canadian citizens returning to Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mrcanada said:
wow you just know everything. These is no more criminality issue going on as I was acquitted and appeal was dismissed. In regards to health coverage, I was asking more for my daughter who is a Canadian citizen and moving to Canada with my wife next month, I know that there is a wait period also for Canadian citizens returning to Canada.
No need for the sarcasm. I was simply trying to give you the best advice based on the info you've provided.

Sumanshagka

Jun 17, 2015
New (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months before benefits can begin. The date residency is considered to have been established is determined by the Ministry of Health based on a number of factors, including the type of immigration status held. For some persons the wait period doesn’t start when they arrive in the province - it starts later. For example, a person who arrives as a tourist or visitor may later receive a change in immigration status in Canada that qualifies the person for MSP coverage.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the wait period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

When a family moves to B.C. from another part of Canada and the applicant and spouse arrive separately, the wait period for family coverage begins on the later date of arrival. If, however, a spouse will reside in B.C. for 12 or more months before the rest of the family moves here, that spouse needs to apply for MSP coverage before the end of the 12 month period (coverage provided by the former home province cannot exceed 12 months).

Once they arrive in B.C., the other family members can be added to the account. The rest of the family remains eligible for coverage in the other province for the balance of the month of departure plus two months, and will be required to complete the wait period once arriving in B.C

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
My husband just landed as PR but has lived in Canada since 2006. On the MSP form it asks when the applicant moved to BC from another country. Should he just put the date of his landing, or the actual date he came to Canada? He was under either OWP or visitor status that whole time.

I'm just wondering if they are looking for the truth or the technical landing date.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aquakitty said:
My husband just landed as PR but has lived in Canada since 2006. On the MSP form it asks when the applicant moved to BC from another country. Should he just put the date of his landing, or the actual date he came to Canada? He was under either OWP or visitor status that whole time.

I'm just wondering if they are looking for the truth or the technical landing date.
They ask for the move date, not landing date, so go with the early one.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
They ask for the move date, not landing date, so go with the early one.
Gotcha, thanks.

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
Hi all,

I have a question about applying for coverage in B.C. I am a returning resident and my husband has completed landing in May 2015 and we both left Canada and back to our home country for preparing our permanent move, so we haven't applied for coverage in May. I just found that I got pregnant. I know there is a waiting period of 2 to 3 months until we get covered. Is it possible that I start applying now while I am outside of Canada? So that I can get covered when I arrive in Canada? We plan to move there in Oct. I am so worried now. Thank you very much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shanchu said:
Hi all,

I have a question about applying for coverage in B.C. I am a returning resident and my husband has completed landing in May 2015 and we both left Canada and back to our home country for preparing our permanent move, so we haven't applied for coverage in May. I just found that I got pregnant. I know there is a waiting period of 2 to 3 months until we get covered. Is it possible that I start applying now while I am outside of Canada? So that I can get covered when I arrive in Canada? We plan to move there in Oct. I am so worried now. Thank you very much!
No, you cannot apply until you are physically residing in BC. If you are going in October, you will not have coverage until Jan 1st, 2016.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Those who are just moving to BC or returning back there from a lengthy trip will pretty much have to wait about 2.5 - 3 month before getting covered under the BC MSP.

I would highly recommend checking out BC MSP eligibility requirements first, if you are a newcomer - Who is eligible?

And here is the info from BC MSP website on Coverage Waiting Period.

While you are not covered under the MSP, you can get private insurance plan just to be safe - Medical Insurance for Newcomers / Immigrants / Workers / Returning Residents

Last edited: