+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

banking sector

claudia9234

Sep 22, 2011
scylla said:
There are many different certifications accepted in the banking world and which one you get often depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get a job where you are offering financial advice to others (broker, financial advisor, investment executive), then the CFP is good - but the CFA is much better. The CFA is also much more difficult to obtain (three exams - all brutal).

If you're interested in finance or accounting, then the CA, CGA or CMA is the way to go.

If you want to work in Wealth (or in any role involving stocks, bonds, etc.), then the CSC is a good starting place. The Canadian Securities Institute offers many other courses in addition to the CSC that build on this knowledge. Obtaining the CSC is much easier than obtaining the other certifications listed above.

Depending on what you plan to do in banking, a completely different certification may be more appropriate in the end (e.g. PMP for project management, HR certification for HR staff, Insurance certifications, etc.).

In short, there are many different directions you can go in depending on what you want to do.

This is an interesting topic. Mi application is almost done. I am wondering if Vancouver is a good place to find a job in finance (like in a Bank). I have a finance degree from USA. I did take the CFA and I could not pass the test. I am wondering if the other exams are "easier" and if the materials can be found online. I would appreciate feedback from people who have taken the exams. Thank you! All the best for everyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
claudia9234 said:
This is an interesting topic. Mi application is almost done. I am wondering if Vancouver is a good place to find a job in finance (like in a Bank). I have a finance degree from USA. I did take the CFA and I could not pass the test. I am wondering if the other exams are "easier" and if the materials can be found online. I would appreciate feedback from people who have taken the exams. Thank you! All the best for everyone!
Vancouver is decent for banking. Toronto is by far the best since all of the big banks are headquartered there.

The CSC is definitely FAR easier than the CFA. The CSC material is available online through the CSI (Canadian Securities Institute) web site once you enroll and pay for the course. The CFA carries far more prestige than the CSC and opens far more doors from a career standpoint. Pretty much anyone can pass the CSC with just a little bit of studying. The CFA, on the other hand, is a killer.

typecounter

Sep 24, 2011
mayankpt said:
hi sabeen
this is shweta from india ..iam also tryng for canada immigration..have u started up with the process??
I thinks The best process. You can come invite job center in Canada, They will help you.

claudia9234

Sep 22, 2011
scylla said:
Vancouver is decent for banking. Toronto is by far the best since all of the big banks are headquartered there.

The CSC is definitely FAR easier than the CFA. The CSC material is available online through the CSI (Canadian Securities Institute) web site once you enroll and pay for the course. The CFA carries far more prestige than the CSC and opens far more doors from a career standpoint. Pretty much anyone can pass the CSC with just a little bit of studying. The CFA, on the other hand, is a killer.
Thank you a lot Scylla for your reply... I am planning to do my first landing end of November but just for a few days (for work issues and want to save more money) and go back to establish around April of next year. I am wondering if the Immigration officer will still check the proof of funds even if my landing is for a few days. I also have an accounting degree and experience working in US (about 3 years) in tax preparation and bookeeping. Just by talking to a lady that lives in Vancouver, she said it might be easier to get a job in Accounting first. Iam planning to work on the first thing I get. Any tips on job search will be appreciated (websites, etc)! Do u think it is a good idea to apply before landing? Good luck everyone---

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
claudia9234 said:
Thank you a lot Scylla for your reply... I am planning to do my first landing end of November but just for a few days (for work issues and want to save more money) and go back to establish around April of next year. I am wondering if the Immigration officer will still check the proof of funds even if my landing is for a few days. I also have an accounting degree and experience working in US (about 3 years) in tax preparation and bookeeping. Just by talking to a lady that lives in Vancouver, she said it might be easier to get a job in Accounting first. Iam planning to work on the first thing I get. Any tips on job search will be appreciated (websites, etc)! Do u think it is a good idea to apply before landing? Good luck everyone---
Yes - you must show proof of funds when you first land. It doesn't matter how long you are staying.

For the job search, I would check the career sections of the big bank web sites (e.g. TD, Scotia, BMO) directly. You can also try sites like monster.ca. If you look at these jobs posting, you should hopefully get a good idea of what type of role you may qualify for with your existing qualifications and experience.

I wouldn't apply for jobs too far in advance because employers typically want to hire people quickly and will expect you to be available for an in person interview soon after you apply. Maybe a month in advance would be OK?

claudia9234

Sep 22, 2011
scylla said:
Yes - you must show proof of funds when you first land. It doesn't matter how long you are staying.

For the job search, I would check the career sections of the big bank web sites (e.g. TD, Scotia, BMO) directly. You can also try sites like monster.ca. If you look at these jobs posting, you should hopefully get a good idea of what type of role you may qualify for with your existing qualifications and experience.

I wouldn't apply for jobs too far in advance because employers typically want to hire people quickly and will expect you to be available for an in person interview soon after you apply. Maybe a month in advance would be OK?
Hi Scylla,
I have a question related to documents to take when u are landing (out of this topic, i know, but i would appreciate ur answer)..., they will be passport with Imm visa stamped, proof of funds, address where u will be staying. I allso read that u need confirmation of permanent resident or Record of Landing. I am wondering what documents are these?? how do they look like??
Also, is it true that u apply for your PC Card right there at the airport with the Imm. officer by giving him the address where u will be staying? Thanks for the info. Hope all is well!

sukhija23

Star Member
Jan 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
Doc's Request.
05-03-2010
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Request
08-10-2011
Med's Done....
25-10-2011
Passport Req..
10-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
25-08-2012
Claudia, i think Record of Landing is something that you will get at the airport once you land there.

Related to the topic, i am thinking of preparing for CSC before i land in Canada, and give the exam within two weeks of landing there. Its a computer based test that can be given any day of the week, except weekend, in Toronto and Montreal. But i am not sure whether there is a time limit between registering for the course and giving the exam. Is there?

claudia9234

Sep 22, 2011
sukhija23 said:
Claudia, i think Record of Landing is something that you will get at the airport once you land there.

Related to the topic, i am thinking of preparing for CSC before i land in Canada, and give the exam within two weeks of landing there. Its a computer based test that can be given any day of the week, except weekend, in Toronto and Montreal. But i am not sure whether there is a time limit between registering for the course and giving the exam. Is there?
Thank you everyone for ur replies!!! I landed last week and I am back in my home country now until next year. The landing went pretty well. Just be prepared to wait for a long time, at least in my case, I did, because there was a long line. The major questions were how long you are going to stay, how much money you have with you in cash, where do you want your PR Card to be sent to. I landed in Vancouver. The airport is very confortable, many spots to exchange currency, free wi-fi internet, food courts, and also a train from the airport to downtown and other areas. I wish everyone good luck! Now, I will do some research on places to stay as well as the exams.. :)