+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Back from citizenship test

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
I just came back from my citizenship test. The officer checked the IDs and docs carefully and seems no big issue. The interview finished in maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

Only question from the officer is about one visit to US. We arrived at the US border, but forgot to bring my son's old passport, which has the US visa on it. So we had to go back to get it and pass the border again on the same day. Officer's record shows that we got out of US (through peace bridge) and enter Canada that day; while in my record, we went into US that day. I explained to the officer and the officer said that makes sense.

What troubles me now is that when I ask the officer when I can get the oath invite, the officer said I would not get updates within a month as there would be background check! I saw many people get DM very fast and I thought the background check shall already be finished before test, why would they conduct background check after the test?

Anyone has any ideas on this? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband had one of these same day trips to the US and ended up with RQ. However they gave him RQ on the spot. So hopefully you won't get it. Good luck.

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
Oh, My God! That is really bad, they gave your husband RQ only because of this?

I only paid 2 visits to US during the past 4 years and out of Canada for only 20 days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This was a few years ago. He got citizenship very quickly overall. He received RQ when he was there in person, we submitted the RQ evidence about three weeks later and then receive the oath letter about two week after that. I can't remember exactly how long it took beginning to end - but I think around 6-7 months (?) and that was with RQ.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh, My God! That is really bad, they gave your husband RQ only because of this?

I only paid 2 visits to US during the past 4 years and out of Canada for only 20 days.
They could only see him entering the US but for some reason didn't see the same day return.

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
@scylla Thank you very much for the reply.

Seems your husbands' process is even faster than the normal ones. So I guess it is not a full range RQ? what kind of RQ evidence did you offer? is it only for the proof of this trip? anyway, it is encouraging that his case processed so fast.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla Thank you very much for the reply.

Seems your husbands' process is even faster than the normal ones. So I guess it is not a full range RQ? what kind of RQ evidence did you offer? is it only for the proof of this trip? anyway, it is encouraging that his case processed so fast.
He ended up being given a full RQ and we had to submit a mountain of paperwork covering all of the days he was claiming as being physically in Canada (not just the proof for the 1 trip). Luckily we had a lot of evidence between visa bills, flight itineraries, employment records, etc. We were able to provide some kind of proof covering almost every day he was in Canada. Because the evidence we provided was so comprehensive, I suspect they took a quick look through it and approved him quite quickly.

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
I see. It must be very time consuming and miserable doing all these paperwork.

Did not your husband sign on the application form to authorize the cic to get the travel record from CBS directly? My feeling is that when my interview officer said "background check", she means they will do it.

Have my fingers crossed, hope they can get the proof directly from CBS and would not ask me for all these paperwork.

jamainsid1910

Jan 8, 2015
I just came back from my citizenship test. The officer checked the IDs and docs carefully and seems no big issue. The interview finished in maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

Only question from the officer is about one visit to US. We arrived at the US border, but forgot to bring my son's old passport, which has the US visa on it. So we had to go back to get it and pass the border again on the same day. Officer's record shows that we got out of US (through peace bridge) and enter Canada that day; while in my record, we went into US that day. I explained to the officer and the officer said that makes sense.

What troubles me now is that when I ask the officer when I can get the oath invite, the officer said I would not get updates within a month as there would be background check! I saw many people get DM very fast and I thought the background check shall already be finished before test, why would they conduct background check after the test?

Anyone has any ideas on this? Thanks
Hi, I did the test on the 29 august2017 and passed it and the officer told me your security clearance is not yet when its complete we shall invite you for the oath. since then nothing

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - he signed and gave authorization to get travel records from CBS directly.

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
@jamainsid1910 Thanks for the reply. My interviewer officer only said background check, I am not sure whether it is a security check. I shall ask on the spot.

You shall be ok as it is only a normal security check, not a RQ. Only that you need to wait patiently for a few more days. Good luck!

Streetparty

Sep 27, 2016
Yes - he signed and gave authorization to get travel records from CBS directly.
Thanks, Scylla. Your information is very helpful. For the worst scenario, I will have to prove my stay.

I have my bi-weekly salary payslip, is it adequate to prove my presence in Canada?

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Thanks, Scylla. Your information is very helpful. For the worst scenario, I will have to prove my stay.

I have my bi-weekly salary payslip, is it adequate to prove my presence in Canada?
Don't worry at this point!
Some offices invite you for the test once all background checks are done, others invite you while those background checks have not been finalized yet. If you look at the spread sheet you can see that decision made varies a lot between the different offices. I doubt you get a RQ and the officer told you that your explanation makes sense.

Reactions: mickey_mouse

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband had one of these same day trips to the US and ended up with RQ. However they gave him RQ on the spot. So hopefully you won't get it. Good luck.
I got RQ lite - the CIT0520 just for a missing trip.
It came in mail 3 days after my test.