NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015

Hi all members

Could you please help me with this question

This is my details :

Landed as FSW August/2015 ( stayed only 3 weeks and went back home without applying for anything like health card or other things )

Wife went to Alberta May/2016 ( as she was 6 months pregnant ) went back to our country at October/2016 (due to family situation and we decided to move back permanently at summer 2018)

BUT we will have to move to Canada earlier (January/2018) to have our second baby !(which was unplanned ) after that we will not leave Canada as we decided to settle for good .

Could you please let me know if we could go to Alberta and use the health card for coverage or not ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Did your wife use her health care in 2015 (I suspect yes)? If she did, you may owe AHICP money for services rendered during that time (183 day minimum in 12 months residence in Alberta) and they will probably want there money when you return. They may refuse to provide coverage for you until you are in good standing with them

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's a chance Alberta may come after you for any health care used in 2015 since you used the system without meeting the residency requirements. If so, this could complicate getting coverage again when you return. So difficult to answer your question.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Hi all members

Could you please help me with this question

This is my details :

Landed as FSW August/2014 ( stayed only 3 weeks and went back home without applying for anything like health card or other things )

Wife went to Alberta May/2015 ( as she was 6 months pregnant ) went back to our country at October/2015 (due to family situation and we decided to move back permanently at summer 2018)

BUT we will have to move to Canada earlier (January/2018) to have our second baby !(which was unplanned ) after that we will not leave Canada as we decided to settle for good .

Could you please let me know if we could go to Alberta and use the health card for coverage or not ?

Thanks in advance
By January 2018, exactly how many days have you spent outside of Canada??

You should know that if you've spent 1,095 days outside Canada since you landed in Aug 2014, then you would be in violation of the RO. So you would need to worry more about being reported upon entry to Canada and having PR status revoked, than if you have healthcare. Remember the validity date on your PR card is irrelevant for determining your RO compliance.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
By January 2018, exactly how many days have you spent outside of Canada??

You should know that if you've spent 1,095 days outside Canada since you landed in Aug 2014, then you would be in violation of the RO. So you would need to worry more about being reported upon entry to Canada and having PR status revoked, than if you have healthcare. Remember the validity date on your PR card is irrelevant for determining your RO compliance.
Did your wife use her health care in 2015 (I suspect yes)? If she did, you may owe AHICP money for services rendered during that time (183 day minimum in 12 months residence in Alberta) and they will probably want there money when you return. They may refuse to provide coverage for you until you are in good standing with them
There's a chance Alberta may come after you for any health care used in 2015 since you used the system without meeting the residency requirements. If so, this could complicate getting coverage again when you return. So difficult to answer your question.
sorry guys , my dates are wrong , i just edited them , i mean we landed at august /2015 and she went for delivery at May/2016 and returned back October 2016 ( so it is about 5 months stay ) but due to emergency we returned

sycyalla could you please explain what you mean by ( they may charge you ) is it a matter of chance or what ? how do somone know if his card is cancelled or not ?! is this done usually when you return to visit your family doctor using the card?

thanks all

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So, technically, you owe AHICP any money they expended for your wife during 2016 at this point in time. If she delivered her baby here, that will include all those costs. Failure to disclose that you left is fraud and could result in criminal charges. You need to come clean with them, as usually they do manage to figure it out and will come after you. These (CRA, IRCC, CBSA, AHICP, OHIP, etc.) are not organizations you want to defraud out of money or lie to. They have long arms and very good lawyers, and generally the law is on their side.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They'll charge you if they find out you didn't meet the residency requirement in 2015 but used health care services. Yes - it's really a matter of chance. We've seen them go after a few people on this forum for delivery costs and it typically seems to be in the $30K-$40K range.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
They'll charge you if they find out you didn't meet the residency requirement in 2015 but used health care services. Yes - it's really a matter of chance. We've seen them go after a few people on this forum for delivery costs and it typically seems to be in the $30K-$40K range.
thanks scyalla for your reply , so for what you are saying , worst case scenario i end up paying the fees and my insurance will not be interrupted for the 2nd baby , right?

thanks

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
So, technically, you owe AHICP any money they expended for your wife during 2016 at this point in time. If she delivered her baby here, that will include all those costs. Failure to disclose that you left is fraud and could result in criminal charges. You need to come clean with them, as usually they do manage to figure it out and will come after you. These (CRA, IRCC, CBSA, AHICP, OHIP, etc.) are not organizations you want to defraud out of money or lie to. They have long arms and very good lawyers, and generally the law is on their side.
hmm, so you are saying i should have contacted them before i left , i really did not think that would be necessary as when we left at beining we were thiking we may return in a month or two but we ended up not coming to canada .

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
GUYS , I JUST FOUND THIS LINK WHICH COULD MEAN I'M STILL COVERED !!!

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/absence-from-Alberta.html

IT CLEARLY STATS THAT THERE COULD BE AN EXTENTION OF COVERAGE FOR 24 MONTHS FOR ( TRAVEL AND PERSONAL VISITS )

Extended absence from Alberta
If you leave Alberta for another part of Canada and intend to return within 12 months, or leave for another country and intend to return within 6 months, you must maintain your AHCIP coverage. If you are leaving for a longer period and intend to return to Alberta, you may be considered for one of the following extensions of coverage:

• 4 years (48 months) for absence due to work, business, or missionary service;
  • 2 years (24 months) for travel, personal visits, or educational leave (sabbatical); or
  • the time period you are a full-time student at an accredited educational institution.
If you are physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12-month period, you remain eligible for continued AHCIP coverage. If you are away longer, contact us.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hmm, so you are saying i should have contacted them before i left , i really did not think that would be necessary as when we left at beining we were thiking we may return in a month or two but we ended up not coming to canada .
Yes, you were required to inform them that you left Canada. You have committed healthcare fraud.

GUYS , I JUST FOUND THIS LINK WHICH COULD MEAN I'M STILL COVERED !!!

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/absence-from-Alberta.html

IT CLEARLY STATS THAT THERE COULD BE AN EXTENTION OF COVERAGE FOR 24 MONTHS FOR ( TRAVEL AND PERSONAL VISITS )

Extended absence from Alberta
If you leave Alberta for another part of Canada and intend to return within 12 months, or leave for another country and intend to return within 6 months, you must maintain your AHCIP coverage. If you are leaving for a longer period and intend to return to Alberta, you may be considered for one of the following extensions of coverage:

• 4 years (48 months) for absence due to work, business, or missionary service;
  • 2 years (24 months) for travel, personal visits, or educational leave (sabbatical); or
  • the time period you are a full-time student at an accredited educational institution.
If you are physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12-month period, you remain eligible for continued AHCIP coverage. If you are away longer, contact us.
As already stated, you failed to meet the 183 day residency requirement and therefore didn't qualify for coverage while you were there, let alone after you left.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Yes, you were required to inform them that you left Canada. You have committed healthcare fraud.

As already stated, you failed to meet the 183 day residency requirement and therefore didn't qualify for coverage while you were there, let alone after you left.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Scylla could u please explain what do you mean by " a matter of chance "

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
As already stated, you failed to meet the 183 day residency requirement and therefore didn't qualify for coverage while you were there, let alone after you left.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a grey area , i read many applicants reused their cards with no problems . As a matter of fact i think the majority succeeded in getting coverage as usually the only persons who post in the forum are the negative experiences . So i think alberta health is doing it based on the link i submitted regarding absence .

I do not think this long absence exemption is only for canadian born , it applies to immigrants also whether u failed to meet the residency requirement in the first year or after 10 years will not make a difference