+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Aprroved work visa - insurance questions

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
So i just got my 2nd work visa approved

I will be potentially going back to my old employer meaning i can start OHIP again after 3 months

My question is will it be fine to have just 3/4 months of travel insurance paid for as i intend to restart OHIP or will the officer want the full 2 years paif for as i have heard sometimes they only givr you a visa for the length of the health insurance or passport ?

Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
stephen92 said:
So i just got my 2nd work visa approved

I will be potentially going back to my old employer meaning i can start OHIP again after 3 months

My question is will it be fine to have just 3/4 months of travel insurance paid for as i intend to restart OHIP or will the officer want the full 2 years paif for as i have heard sometimes they only givr you a visa for the length of the health insurance or passport ?

Thank you
assuming by work permit you mean you have been approved under IEC program then unfortunately you will need the full 2 years travel insurance or whatever the program duration is for your country of origin. If you try to activate without full travel insurance coverage then you will only get a permit for that shorter duration. Same rule applies for passport validity which must be valid beyond the end of your IEC permit validity.

CBSA will not be interested whether you had OHIP previously or plan to get coverage when qualified given for a start OHIP does not cover repatriation to home country whereas travel insurance does and that is the main point of insisting on travel insurance for the the duration.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Bs65 said:
assuming by work permit you mean you have been approved under IEC program then unfortunately you will need the full 2 years travel insurance or whatever the program duration is for your country of origin. If you try to activate without full travel insurance coverage then you will only get a permit for that shorter duration. Same rule applies for passport validity which must be valid beyond the end of your IEC permit validity.

CBSA will not be interested whether you had OHIP previously or plan to get coverage when qualified given for a start OHIP does not cover repatriation to home country whereas travel insurance does and that is the main point of insisting on travel insurance for the the duration.
Yeah IEC. Oh really ? the first time i did my IEC i was unaware about the insurance and only purchased 3 months and they still gave me a 2 Year visa... how weird

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Can any one offer any insurance companies ?!

Also is it better ot get insurance from Australia for my 2 years of get a canadian company ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
stephen92 said:
Yeah IEC. Oh really ? the first time i did my IEC i was unaware about the insurance and only purchased 3 months and they still gave me a 2 Year visa... how weird
obviously depends on the CBSA officer at the time who may not even have paid any attention to what is supposed to check, they are only human after all. Not a recommended approach though as the guidlines categorically imply need insurance for the duration and there are for sure cases where people have gotten shortened permits.