+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PR for Foreign Wife ?

ozcar

Sep 4, 2017
Hi,

I am a canadian citizen but my wife is foreign, we live overseas due to work but we visit Canada on a regular basis, we have a new born baby as well who was born canadian, due to which the only person that needs to apply for a visa each time is my wife, its a lengthy process which includes things such as bank statements etc and for some reason they dont give visa's longer than a year at most.

Due to this reason we are contemplating whether it would be feasible for me to apply PR for her, even tho we don't plan to live in Canada full time at the moment, it would solve the hassle of Visa's and all the paper work each time, however im wondering whether it would be possible or even a good idea to do that ? since most likely she will not be able to meet PR physical presence requirements, would it be a problem once the PR expires to renew it ? we do plan on moving to Canada later on so its not justified to say the PR is only for convenience but due to my work that would not be possible for the next few years atleast, i have read somewhere that if your spouse is a Canadian Citizen and working overseas even for a private company, they can renew the PR card based on that point if you can prove that your spouse has been working overseas and you had no option but to stay with him and couldn't fulfill the physical presence requirements.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll probably find it difficult to be approved for PR. To be approved, you will have to demonstrate that you have concrete plans to return to Canada and live here as soon as her PR visa is approved. If CIC believes you're applying for PR with no plans to move to Canada immediately - PR will be refused. I would stick with the tourist visas for now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Curious how much you paid for a delivery in Canada? It is a question that comes up frequently on this forum. You might have meant that the baby was born in another country but you applied to get citizenship for the baby.

ozcar

Sep 4, 2017
I think when applying for the PR we would obviously leave the part out where we don't plan to immediately move full time to Canada since realistically plans and things can change and we might end up moving in the near future after the PR process is complete, my question is simply how if for some reason my wife and i have to continue living overseas after the PR process is complete would she be able to fulfill the physical residence requirements in order to retain her PR and if what ive heard is true about a spouse of a canadian citizen whos working overseas can manage to retain the PR even if they are unable to maintain the the physical presence requirement as long as you can prove to the immigrant officer upon return and provide a company letter etc to prove you have lived abroad due to that reason. Anyone in a similar situation please let me know.
Thanks,

P.s as for the baby, since im Canadian, he was a born Canadian citizen overseas since he's first generation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry got confused you actually applied to have his citizenship recognized. When you said born Canadian thought you meant you you didn't have to go to the Embassy, etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I think when applying for the PR we would obviously leave the part out where we don't plan to immediately move full time to Canada since realistically plans and things can change and we might end up moving in the near future after the PR process is complete, my question is simply how if for some reason my wife and i have to continue living overseas after the PR process is complete would she be able to fulfill the physical residence requirements in order to retain her PR and if what ive heard is true about a spouse of a canadian citizen whos working overseas can manage to retain the PR even if they are unable to maintain the the physical presence requirement as long as you can prove to the immigrant officer upon return and provide a company letter etc to prove you have lived abroad due to that reason. Anyone in a similar situation please let me know.
Thanks,

P.s as for the baby, since im Canadian, he was a born Canadian citizen overseas since he's first generation
It isn't a matter of just omitting your plan to live outside of Canada. As you reside outside of Canada, a requirement of the app is that you submit actual proof that you intend to return to live in Canada when the app is approved.

Yes, a PR living abroad still meets the Residency Obligation if they are with a Canadian spouse.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What canuck_in_uk said. It's not just a matter of excluding the fact you don't plan to move to Canada - you have to provide actual evidence to support the fact that you will relocate as soon as the PR visa is issued. Failing to do that will result in the application being refused (we've seen plenty of examples of that here). CIC will be looking for things like evidence you've arranged employment (e.g. job offer from an employer in Canada), proof you've arrange or are in the process of arranging housing, bank accounts in Canada, proof you've started winding up your affairs in your current country of evidence in preparation for the move, etc. You can certainly apply - proving you're relocating might be tricky.

ozcar

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, so in my case if i have my own family business and provide official letters etc stating that im working full-time for them it should cover the employment issue since the business is international and i can work from pretty much anywhere, even at present i require a lot of traveling, as for arranging a house, i have a family house in Ontario which i can stay at, as its owned by my father however even if i do not declare that residence they want me to show them some correspondence with landlords finalizing a place to stay im guessing ? i already have Bank accounts and utilities ( Cell phone ) under my name and active with bills being payed every month, and as for proving that im winding up my affairs i can have my company issue documentation stating that i will continue to work for them even while in Canada but will be relocating there since my company would like to explore new opportunities in Canada. My wife will be a housewife at first so i doubt they would require her to have all that arranged before she moves there?

That being said would the case be less tricky due to those reasons ?