+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for extension or PR with work permit?

Dutchie243

Sep 15, 2017
Hi,

I have a visitor visa for 6 months and it ends in November. I'm in the process of completing my application for PR and would like to know if I should extend my visitors visa or submit my PR application before my visitor visa expires? Will I have some sort of temporary status while my application is being processed or will I need to leave or renew my visitor visa before I get my PR? I'm being sponsored by my common-law spouse.

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I have a visitor visa for 6 months and it ends in November. I'm in the process of completing my application for PR and would like to know if I should extend my visitors visa or submit my PR application before my visitor visa expires? Will I have some sort of temporary status while my application is being processed or will I need to leave or renew my visitor visa before I get my PR? I'm being sponsored by my common-law spouse.

Thank you!
Hi

You have visitor status, not a visitor visa.

A PR application doesn't grant any form of status. If you are applying inland with an OWP app and you submit before your current status expires, you will have Implied Status after expiry and the OWP will take about 2-4 months to arrive. If you apply outland, you need to maintain your status separately by applying for a visitor extension before your current status expires. There is no need to leave Canada.

Reactions: mpsqra

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi,

Thank you!
apply for a visitor extension
meanwhile you could apply for the permanent residency
PR application does not grant any status.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi

You have visitor status, not a visitor visa.

A PR application doesn't grant any form of status. If you are applying inland with an OWP app and you submit before your current status expires, you will have Implied Status after expiry and the OWP will take about 2-4 months to arrive. If you apply outland, you need to maintain your status separately by applying for a visitor extension before your current status expires. There is no need to leave Canada.
VISA is in french
Prorogation d’un visa de visiteur

Dutchie243

Sep 15, 2017
apply for a visitor extension
meanwhile you could apply for the permanent residency
PR application does not grant any status.
if i am applying for the work permit with my PR application isn't that already extending my stay ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
if i am applying for the work permit with my PR application isn't that already extending my stay ?
Yes, applying for an OWP with an inland app maintains your status, as long as your app isn't returned for some reason after your current status expires.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Do you also know how i show my status in Canada if i don't have a visitor visa ?
I only have a stamp in my passport of my entry ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

How do I know the expiry date of my temporary resident status?
1. Temporary residents travelling with passports:
When you arrived in Canada and gave your passport to the officer, they authorized your stay by placing a stamp in your passport and/or issuing an additional document. Check your passport. If you find a stamp, it should look like one of these.

PICTURE

For example, if the officer specified a date as shown in the above illustration, your temporary resident status would expire on June 30th, 1993.

If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, study or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

When applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada, you are required to submit photocopies of passport pages clearly showing the stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada.

Reactions: Dutchie243