+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apartment rents , Better area

sudeeppanshikar

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
Hi Members,

Will be moving to Toronto in next 2-3 months.
I was searching the 1-2 Bedroom apartments near Scarborough,Markham,North york. They show the rent is around 1300 - 1400. And most of them didnt include Hydro and they are not furnished.
I have below question:

1. If apartments are not furnished like no bed, table etc... then how much cost will it be to buy them .
2. How much will be Hydro expense for a family of 4 member 2 adult and 2 kids..just an approximate
3. Any suggestion on the area which is having cheap rent and have a good elementary schools. My office will be in Mississauga..but i am ok with the travelling.

Thanks in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Depends if you want to buy brand new or used. Designer brands would cost you more and sometimes you can get second hand items for free.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are working in Mississauga I would recommend you stay away from areas like Scarborough that are on the other side of Toronto. Living closer to where you work will save time and transportation costs. Hydro bills will be dependent on what kind of heating and cooling system you have. Things like electric baseboard heating and AC units will raise costs. Electricity is expensive in Ontario but natural gas is less expensive. Furnished apartments are rare unless they are geared to corporate clients and those will be expensive. You might want to look at IKEA or look at getting some second hand stuff on craigslist or kijiji. It doesn't sound like you have a vehicle to pick up the stuff. You can slowly buy things every month once you arrive to spread out the expense but I would say you may be looking at $5000 minimum to get basic furnishings, linens, kitchen items, couch, table, beds. You maybe able to do better if you have someone who can help you pick up second hand items. Low rental areas don't usually coincide with the best school districts but most Canadian schools are good so I would look for possible rental apartments and then you can look at the school rankings.

sudeeppanshikar

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
If you are working in Mississauga I would recommend you stay away from areas like Scarborough that are on the other side of Toronto. Living closer to where you work will save time and transportation costs. Hydro bills will be dependent on what kind of heating and cooling system you have. Things like electric baseboard heating and AC units will raise costs. Electricity is expensive in Ontario but natural gas is less expensive. Furnished apartments are rare unless they are geared to corporate clients and those will be expensive. You might want to look at IKEA or look at getting some second hand stuff on craigslist or kijiji. It doesn't sound like you have a vehicle to pick up the stuff. You can slowly buy things every month once you arrive to spread out the expense but I would say you may be looking at $5000 minimum to get basic furnishings, linens, kitchen items, couch, table, beds. You maybe able to do better if you have someone who can help you pick up second hand items. Low rental areas don't usually coincide with the best school districts but most Canadian schools are good so I would look for possible rental apartments and then you can look at the school rankings.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion will keep these points