+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

9 Academic IELTS Writing tips on how to get Band 7.5

grassie123

Oct 30, 2011
Hi All, I wanna share with you guys some experience on how to get band 7.5 writing

This isn’t, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can’t help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.
1. Before writing an essay, you must know its basic structure. I love Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter. If you target 7+, stick with this book, really HELPFUL. Besides, you should find essays written by band 7+ achievers to see how they develop their essay topics and try to learn good structures and vocabulary from their writing such as 199 Academic IELTS Writing Band 8 (available on App Store)

2. Many like starting task 2 first, but in my opinion, you should do the test in order, i.e. task 1 first, then task 2. This will give you the confident feeling that you ALREADY HAFL WAY COMPLETED.

3. Don’t waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ……….attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

You then can use this template in almost any essay of this kind, for instance "The issue of overpopulation attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility and intricacy of the factors, I would pore over some of the most striking ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don’t care how difficult the test is, I don’t care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don’t, you will be penalized very heavily.

5. Again, practice writing. Do both 2 tasks in one hour. You can focus only on task 1 or task 2, but before the test, you should practice writing both tasks to familiar with time limit.

6. Practice makes perfect. In writing, this statement is completely true. But it is better if there is someone to check writing for you and you can learn from your mistakes.

7. Writing requires wide academic vocabulary. You also have to buy a vocabulary book to work on and enrich your vocabulary.

8. Avoid all informal ways of writing. There are some rules of writing you should follow. For example: no abbreviations, no 1st and 2nd pronoun or possessive (I, you, me, my, your), except in conclusion where you have to state your opinion.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don’t be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another. But REMEMBER, to reach success, you MUST make an effort. You should have a clear motivation and a strong will to overcome difficulties. When I did practice tests, I was exhausted. But no success comes easily. Practice is the only way to gain success. Don’t just wait for lucky break, it will never come if you don’t know how to grab it.

P/s: I've tried many times to attached the template I used for task 2, but in vain. Anyone can show me how? :(

Reactions: ypaul

funty

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
not yet
grassie123 said:
Hi All, I wanna share with you guys some experience on how to get band 7.5 writing

This isn't, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can't help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.
1. Before writing an essay, you must know its basic structure. I love Academic writing Practice for IELTS by Sam McCarter. If you target 7+, stick with this book, really HELPFUL. Besides, you should find essays written by band 7+ achievers to see how they develop their essay topics and try to learn good structures and vocabulary from their writing such as 199 Academic IELTS Writing Band 8 (available on App Store)

2. Many like starting task 2 first, but in my opinion, you should do the test in order, i.e. task 1 first, then task 2. This will give you the confident feeling that you ALREADY HAFL WAY COMPLETED.

3. Don't waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ..........attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

You then can use this template in almost any essay of this kind, for instance "The issue of overpopulation attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility and intricacy of the factors, I would pore over some of the most striking ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don't care how difficult the test is, I don't care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don't, you will be penalized very heavily.

5. Again, practice writing. Do both 2 tasks in one hour. You can focus only on task 1 or task 2, but before the test, you should practice writing both tasks to familiar with time limit.

6. Practice makes perfect. In writing, this statement is completely true. But it is better if there is someone to check writing for you and you can learn from your mistakes.

7. Writing requires wide academic vocabulary. You also have to buy a vocabulary book to work on and enrich your vocabulary.

8. Avoid all informal ways of writing. There are some rules of writing you should follow. For example: no abbreviations, no 1st and 2nd pronoun or possessive (I, you, me, my, your), except in conclusion where you have to state your opinion.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don't be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another. But REMEMBER, to reach success, you MUST make an effort. You should have a clear motivation and a strong will to overcome difficulties. When I did practice tests, I was exhausted. But no success comes easily. Practice is the only way to gain success. Don't just wait for lucky break, it will never come if you don't know how to grab it.

P/s: I've tried many times to attached the template I used for task 2, but in vain. Anyone can show me how? :(

Very lovely................wonderful tips you have here...

bluesea

Nov 1, 2011
grassie123 said:

This isn't, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can't help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.

3. Don't waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ..........attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don't care how difficult the test is, I don't care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don't, you will be penalized very heavily.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don't be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another. But REMEMBER, to reach success, you MUST make an effort. You should have a clear motivation and a strong will to overcome difficulties. When I did practice tests, I was exhausted. But no success comes easily. Practice is the only way to gain success. Don't just wait for lucky break, it will never come if you don't know how to grab it.

Thank you very much, it is very detail instruction, i hope it will help me for my writing test, by the way do you have the link to download this Academic writing pratice IELTS book? If you have please send to my email bluesea_sg@yahoo.com
Best regards

grassie123

Oct 30, 2011
Actually I bought this book at a very cheap price (about 3$ only :D) You should check at your nearest bookshop. Good luck!

grassie123

Oct 30, 2011
Here are some great last minute tips for the writing exam

As you've been preparing for your IELTS exam you've probably discovered a few techniques that help you work quickly and successfully. Here are some tips that I share with my students in their last lesson of the course - it's a kind of summary of helpful ideas for them.

Organise your time carefully during the hour you have for the whole exam.
Task 1 - 20 minutes
Task 2 - 40 minutesIt's important to follow these suggested times as the Task 1 is worth 40% and the Task 2 is worth 60%.

Before the exam think about which task you would prefer to write first – you can write them in any order, starting with Task 2 if you wish.

Organise your time carefully for the Task 2 essay:
Planning - 5 minutes
Writing - 30 minutes
Checking and editing - 5 minutes So important! Grammar and vocabulary each make up 25% of the total (together that's 50%). If you don't have enough time to check your writing you can lose so many points. Remember, both native speakers and students make basic mistakes when they are writing quickly. So you should always spend time checking at the end.

Before you start planning your essay answer circle the key words in the question – this keeps you focused on the correct topic. If you don't write relevant information about the essay topic you will lose a lot of marks for your content, which represents 25% of your mark.

If you have problems with timing here's an idea for the essay. After spending 5 minutes planning do the following:
- Write your introduction paragraph.
- Then write the main idea for each main paragraph, but nothing else. Leave a space for your supporting sentences and examples. You can write these later.
- Write your conclusion paragraph.
- You can then go back and complete your main paragraphs.

This process helps you to control paragraph lengths, and stops you from writing too much in one paragraph. Hopefully this means you can complete your essay in the time provided, as well as helping you to write an essay with well-balanced paragraphs. If you still have time problems, at least the examiner can see you have presented a correct essay structure, with main ideas. You'll just lose points on a lack of supporting ideas. However, this process doesn't work for everyone so you should practise using this technique before you take the exam.

Organise your time carefully for the Task 1:
Planning - 4 minutes
Writing - 12 minutes
Checking and editing - 4 minutes

When answering the Academic Task 1, circle the significant data on the graph. Then choose the order you are going to write about this data. Write the numbers 1, 2, 3 etc. on the graph to help you write the information logically in your answer.

When answering the General Task 1, circle the key words in the question to keep you focused. Use the bullet points to structure your answer – each bullet point represents one paragraph.

grassie123

Oct 30, 2011
Tips for Writing Task 1 of IELTS Academic test

The task here is to describe a graph in a report. The report is intended for university lecturer, so the language you use should be appropriate.

There are several different graphs you could see in Writing 1 Task:
Single line graph – see example
Double line graph
Bar graph (Single, Double or Triple bar graph) – see example
Pie chart – see example
Table
Process

No matter what graph, diagram or table you are describing, you shouldn’t break these rules:
Report must be of at least 150 words written in 20 minutes
You shouldn’t write your opinion or copy words from graph – rephrase and use synonyms instead.
Never use bullets, write as if you were writing essay or letter.

When your Academic Writing 1 Task is graded by IELTS examiners, they look for this structure:
Introduction

Body

Conclusion

Introduction should describe the purpose of report and say what overall trends you see.

For example, if the graph is climbing up or dropping down, you should mention that.You need to remember that you are describing a graph to someone who doesn’t see it. Write what the graph is about, its dates and location.

Body should describe the most important trends, while all information is summarized to avoid unnecessary details. For example, if there is a graph that has 2 peaks, you should mention them; tell when those peaks appeared and what the peak values are.Notice how many distinctive features diagram has and divide information into paragraphs, one paragraph for one feature. You should link the paragraphs by sentences that logically connect them to one another.

Important! You need to write about all the periods of time and all the subjects of graph.If it shows several years (1992, 1993, 1994) – write about all of them, if it is about men and women – write about both. Remember, summarizing doesn’t mean throwing away information. The secret here is to select what’s important, organize it, compare and contrast.

Conclusion should sum up the global trends shown on the figure and compare them if possible.

jay031

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
grassie123 said:

great work. Thanks.

sureshmaxss

Star Member
Jan 19, 2012
Hello, can you send me the template you used in your exam. i am so desperate to have one, its been a long time since i have been preparing for ielts, no luck so far. could you help me to share your template that must help me achieve my goal this time. i am appearing on 10 march. send me on my e-mail id: sureshmaxss(@)gmail.com

IELTS Helper

Feb 29, 2012
In Task II of IELTS writing, your paragraphing is very important. Remember that the structure of a body paragraph is:

1. Topic sentence - what's the paragraph about?
2. Develop and support - this should add to your topic sentence and should be related. Adding details here that are not related to the topic sentence mean your paragraphs become unclear and lose focus.
3. Examples - IELTS requires you to support your point of view with examples / evidence, so try to add an example to demonstrate what you mean.

For more useful advice, search this forum and look around the site - lots of good information here!

IELTS Helper(planetielts.com)

IELTS Helper

Feb 29, 2012
AND don't forget of the key things: RELAX

It is amazing to see how people become very tense when they know they are doing a test rather than just writing or speaking in a "normal" situation. English ability can crash just through being nervous.

Planet IELTS Helper
planetielts.com

gokul747

Apr 29, 2014
Dear grassie123,

It's been a long time since I have been preparing for IELTS. However, I couldn't able to achieve band 7 in writing. Fortunately, I have came across the canadavisa.com forum. In which, I have seen your conversation in the the academic writing template post.

Could you please kindly provide that template to me. I would really be grateful since it will really help me to improve my writing band score.

Thank you in advance.

Looking forward for your email.

Regards,

Gokul

morrkov

Feb 20, 2016
grassie123 said:

This isn’t, in fact, my weakness. But this skill is difficult to self-study. You need to go to English center where there are teachers who are willing to check your writing. Here are some suggestions I can think of, it maybe can’t help you out. But do your best, you will be fine.

3. Don’t waste too much time on Task 1. Learn all specific writing structure for each type of task 1. In the real test, you just have to apply that structure with new data and suitable verb tenses. Read sample essays and take note good structure to have a wide range of academic structures for task 1. You should also have your own templates for task 2, that will save much of your time in the real test. For example, you may prepare the introduction for a cause & effect essay like: "The issue of ..........attributes to one of the thorny ills prevalent in the modern society. Despite the versatility/variety and complexity/intricacy of the factors, I would pore over/demonstrate some of the most striking/profound ones and offer the alternatives afterwards. "

4. You must complete both tasks. I don’t care how difficult the test is, I don’t care how little time you got. You MUST complete your test at any cost. If you don’t, you will be penalized very heavily.

9. Each body paragraph has to include: topic sentence, supporting sentences (2-3 sentences), development sentences (evidence: example, experience, data). In many languages (English included), there are many ways to develop a body paragraph, which results that topic sentence is not the first sentence. But you are advised to put topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraph. Don’t be creative in this case.

That is all I can think of. I hope you will be lucky in your exam and what I wrote will help you in one way or another. But REMEMBER, to reach success, you MUST make an effort. You should have a clear motivation and a strong will to overcome difficulties. When I did practice tests, I was exhausted. But no success comes easily. Practice is the only way to gain success. Don’t just wait for lucky break, it will never come if you don’t know how to grab it.

Hi! Could you please send me those templates to morrkov@hotmail.com

merci bien!
Regards.