+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

8 weeks and waiting- permanent resident travel document

Thahbee

Jun 4, 2017
I'm a 22-year old permanent resident of Canada (or at least I was), with a card that expired in 2011. We left Canada around the time my grandmother was hospitalized in 2009, and a series of events ended up with my parents settling down in our country of birth (rejection of our application for citizenship, grandparents' health deteriorating, etc)

As a female living in my country, traveling on my own is not the norm. My sister and I have been asking to return to Canada since finishing middle school, to which my parents would reply "after your bachelor's" or "after you get married". This year, they've finally agreed to let us go, but on the condition that we find something productive to do, so we signed up for a course. We applied for a PRTD on April 11th, and were told that the processing time would take a minimum of 5 weeks.

We've passed the 5 week mark, and by this Tuesday we will have been waiting for 8 weeks. Now the issue is that we've already paid around 12500 CAD to book accommodations, reserve our seats in the course, and book flights.

Right now, we're very worried that the PRTD will either not finish in time (by June 23rd) or be rejected without giving us enough time to apply for a visa.
  • What's the protocol for rejecting a PRTD? Do they call you in? Do they reject it and offer you a visa instead? Or will we have to start a new application?

• Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? Please note that in my country, the embassy only replies via email to inquiries regarding visas and whatnot. We do not go to the embassy, all affairs are handled by an external center.

• The purpose of this visit for me was to spend the summer there and get a feel of the environment (so I can prepare for next year's elective). I was planning on spending every summer there for the next 2 years until I graduate. Is this plan even plausible? If our PRTD is granted, would a PR be granted once we're in Canada since we are now able to (and plan to) continue our lives there?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: