+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

40 hours a week for months through Temp agency - no OHIP coverage?

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
A friend of mine has been working 40h/week for the same client through a Temp agency for about 5 months now.
She's been told she'll have work there for at least 6 months.

She finally needs to get OHIP coverage, but the temp agency is refusing to give her a letter stating her employment is full time, only that's 40 hours a week and this is not enough for Service Ontario:

The restriction you can see on this picture is not present on Service Ontario website or underlying law

1. Can you even be working 40h/week for almost half a year and not be full time? Is that even legal? (as far as I know that Ontario has no definition of full time employment)
2. If there is no such thing as full time employment in Ontario law (ESA) can Service Ontario require the words "full time" to be present on the letter of employment?
3. Can full time employment definitions from other acts than ESA be used? Immigration law considers any employment at 30 or more hours / week full time.

Any other ideas you have?

enna00

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
Hello I know someone who had an open work permit and they didn't ask for a letter stating hours, as long as you have to following documents or other document doesn't have to be an employment letter, see link.

where is this information coming from where did you take that photo.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
enna00 said:
Hello I know someone who had an open work permit and they didn't ask for a letter stating hours, as long as you have to following documents or other document doesn't have to be an employment letter, see link.

where is this information coming from where did you take that photo.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf
She was denied OHIP coverage on 2 different occasions - the 1st time they would not accept letter of employment from a temp agency. 2nd time because of the 40h/week instead of full time and pointed to a hanging printout you can see on the picture @ 777 Bay Street, Toronto.

physio43

Oct 17, 2015
Hello
I am almost sailing on the same boat as your friend. Will complete my 6 months of work through a staffing agency and worked 5 days/8hrs at same job and I am on post grad work permit. I think I may also get denied as my staffing agency said they will give only contract status and/or hours not as full time even I worked more than 40hrs a week. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . Statistics Canada clearly mentioned Full time means working more than 30hrs/week. They will give ohip to a pr or refugee(no offence just quoting) who just landed but will reject of those who paid taxes on every paycheck and on tuition if you are a student. I will post more once I apply meanwhile please reply if any updates.

luis.diazmed

Mar 12, 2020
Toronto
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Hello
I am almost sailing on the same boat as your friend. Will complete my 6 months of work through a staffing agency and worked 5 days/8hrs at same job and I am on post grad work permit. I think I may also get denied as my staffing agency said they will give only contract status and/or hours not as full time even I worked more than 40hrs a week. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . Statistics Canada clearly mentioned Full time means working more than 30hrs/week. They will give ohip to a pr or refugee(no offence just quoting) who just landed but will reject of those who paid taxes on every paycheck and on tuition if you are a student. I will post more once I apply meanwhile please reply if any updates.
did you apply?
Could you share with us your story? I just completed my 6 months working for an agency, but after reading this, I am not sure what to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
did you apply?
Could you share with us your story? I just completed my 6 months working for an agency, but after reading this, I am not sure what to do.
In order to apply for OHIP you have to show you are working full-time in a job that will last over 6 months. You can provide a letter from your employer about your employment status. The 3 month waiting period will start after that.