hello All! i would love to get some thoughts on my questions if that is okay! we are just about to start the process well in the new few months! and i would LOVE some help!
Firstly, i am very confused about the whole process. I have a few questions and i would love to get some insight!!
1) Does it matter that i am living aboard? i read somewhere that it doesnt matter and that as i am a canadian citizen i can sponsor my husband.
2) We both work full time here and can provide proof of funds this way - however they will obviously be in british pounds - we are saving up for a house deposit when the paperwork goes through in canada - will that matter? How can we prove that we want to live in canada? We cant get a property yet, i am not going to school, etc - but it says on the application form that we need to prove we want to seattle in canada
3) where do we actually send our application forms?
4) when he does the medical - do we send that off with everything? or does the doctor send that off somewhere else? what is the best practice there?
5) how long after this application is approved do we have until we must move? we both have jobs and it will of course take time to get everything together
6) i read somewhere that you can "land" and then leave straight away - that your residency starts as soon as you land - Where do you register when you land? is that something that customs do at the airport? or do you have to travel to an embassy? how do they register you? How do you then apply for a card? or is the card sent to you via mail? if so what address would you put? and how long do you have to stay in canada before your card comes through? is this something that is automatically done for you? or once you go through customs you have to apply somewhere else and if so where? and how long does the card take to be sent?
7) i would just love some advice and general points of what to include with the application what not to - i was thinking to perhaps include some character references or any job references but i dont know if that will hinder or help? so just any tips really would be amazing!
Also, how long is the medical exam valid for??
thanks so much
Hi Anna, will try my best to help give you some advice as we have just sent out our paperwork this week!
1)If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad.
2) I would get a joint bank account if you dont already have one and get printouts with both names and funds, dont think it matters that its in pounds, i think they just want to see that you have an account together! I would also start applying for jobs online and printing out job offers, accomodation plans etc, also we got a letter from my parents saying that they would let us stay with them for a week or 2 til we got settled back in with housing and jobs!
Type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre ─ Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
4)Im assuming you are in england somewhere since you mentioned pounds...here is a list of designated medical practionershttp://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=1872&CountryName=England
When my husband went for his medical, they sent off the forms so you dont have to worry bout that but you need to send off the original reciept with the application form.
5)I believe you have a year from the date of your medical to land...thats what someone told me
6)not sure bout this one, maybe someone else can help!
7)Take your time filling out the application, do a little each day otherwise can get overwhelming and confusing. Try and gather all the documents you need ahead (passport, birth certificate, employment letter, bank statements, option c printouts etc...) Use the forum for loads of great advice, helped me out ALOT! Medicals are valid for a year, hope this helps and good luck