Dear Leon and others
Thank you for your time in advance. Your advice would be greatly appreciated with my current situation.
Fiancee/Wife (On 4th Feb 11
): Canadian Citizen living in Calgary, Alberta. Occ: Firefighter (10yrs)
Myself / Husband: Australian Citizen living in Sydney Australia. Occ Police Officer.(17yrs)
Our initial intention was to be married this coming 4th Feb in the USA and for my wife to sponsor me for PR in Canada. We were intending to apply "Outland" as this would generally be the quicker option (Step 1- 43 days & Step 2: 8mths) Since I cannot work in Canada during this process, I am able to take up to 12mths long service leave from work at half pay and could stay with her on a visitors visa (6+mths) for the last few months of the process.
However the Universe playing its cards to the both of us, to our happy surprise we are now expecting our first child in early September of this year. She intends to give birth in Canada. So hence our new challenge that has been given to us.
Obviously I would like to be with her during the whole time, however immigration is a long and confusing process. We would like to get our application right the first time and PR approved asap.
My wife is still at work on restricted duties and will be, right up to as close to the end as possible. Then she will have to apply for Empolyment Insurance (As Canada does not have paid maternity leave like in Australia) However she would like me to be living with her during the important phase from June onwards.
Seeing that I have up to 12mths paid work leave I intend to take during that period, how would you suggest to go about it. "Outland" is quicker though I cannot work, which I am relying on paid leave and savings while I wait for approval or "Inland" The process is far longer ( Step 1: 9mths, Step 2: 9-18mths)
however I can only apply for an open work permit in Step 2. In which the majority of my paid leave will be used up in Step 1.
With limited work options being available to me in Step 2. (I cannot apply to the Calgary Police until I have my PR approved) I would have to find some other form of work in the mean time.
So the whole process has become even more stressful and time is of the essence.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.