hello everybody. I just arrived from an out-of-town trip and got a call from my agent after emailing her 3x.
Our packet was returned.
CIO CC the card twice, May 17 and another one May 20. Card was declined, insufficient fund
It was the agent's idea to use her credit card. and now this.
I requested her to send me the scanned copy of the letter CIO sent.
Here is an excerpt:
Regulation 12 of the Immigration and Refuge Regulations states that if certain requirements are not met, the application and all documents submitted in support of the application shall be returned to the applicant. A review of your application indicates your submissions fails to meet these requirements for the following reason:The credit card payment declined.
All of your application forms and documents are being returned to you. Your application fee was not processed and is also being returned to you. No record of your application has been retained by this office. Should you choose to resubmit your application, please include this letter and the attached appendices with your application.
Citizenship and Immigration
Federal Skilled Worker Centralized Intake Office
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Upon seeing the scanned letter, I blamed myself for trusting their advise to use their credit card. We were supposed to used BD with our own trusted bank. Funny, I even called her and sent her email to inform her bank ahead of time that an international transaction is expected. To prevent occurrence such as this.
She assured me that her previous transaction with her client using her credit card turned out ok.
Seniors, please enlighten me. Considering that cap was reached already (May20) and our application was denied due to the reason above. Can we still send back our application with the BD instead without waiting for July 1?
or better wait?
Skilled.worker and mandie I am deeply sad I will no longer be part of this tracker. However I'm determined to meet all members of this forum in Canada next year.
It's quite unfortunate to learn about what happened to your application. Your agent should be crucified for complicating your case. It shouldn't happen if he/she does his/her job very well as I would assume he's/she's in this business for quite a long time already. I wonder if you can still get a refund from him/her.
Anyway, as others in this forum suggest (and I agree with them), it is best to wait for the next MI (which is few days away) and hope your NOC remains in the list. It is not good to gamble at this point in time.
Just hope for the best!