Completed my landing (from US) around 1 month back. Stayed in Toronto for 4 days and returned to US. Here are the details:
Landed at Pearson at 6:30 am in the morning, went to passport control, officer checked the customs formed - asked how much fund I am carrying, updated few things on the customs declaration form and let me through. Next was the immigration counter - we walked into the room, there was no one before us, we were the only folks in the room with few officers at the counters. As there was no line in front of us, we were not sure which counter to go to, so stood there for a sec and one lady officer called us to her counter. She checked the COPR form, updated the funding details. Did not ask to show her the funds. She was very friendly. Here she mentioned on her own, without any precedence, that "do you have any address where the PR card can be sent so your friend or family member can pickup on your behalf". I was like "hmm, I will stay at this address, I will pick up the card......." She took down the address. I think, the immigration officers are aware that folks from US come in for few days to complete their landing formalities to land finally at a later date. Everything went smooth, no other questions asked - it was over in 10 mins, thanked her and proceeded to customs.
We had everything listed with photographs for goods to follow B4/B4A, (members, pls follow Qorax's guidelines in this regard - very helpful). Again, we were the only folks there, dont know which counter to go to, there were 2 lady officers in one counter, they called us.........gave one of them the customs declaration form and the B4/B4A forms. One of them checked the pics, took the forms and went inside to print out the receipt for the goods declared. The other lady officer started chit-chatting (were not asked in a question like manner) - where are we from, where are we working, spoke with my wife for sometime, the officer commented on her view on the job opportunities in Canada, etc.....total 15 mins here
01st Day - Collected the luggage, took rental car from airport from 'Budget' and directly drove to the Canadian Service Center in Richmond Hill and applied for the 'SIN Numbers'. After that went to our friends house, took rest, Went out after sometime, opened account in TD and then went around the Bay View/Yonge/Shepard's are looking at the some condos and apartments - to get an idea.
02nd day - Next morning tried for the OHIP card at College station, but was not successful. They were not ready to take the printed letter from TD. They will require a mailed letter of bank statement as proof of address. Went around CN towers, Eaton center.
03rd Day - went to Niagra falls
04th day - returned rental car at airport, came back to US.
It was a pleasant experience, the people are friendly, we used the public transit system extensively - which is excellent. The only thing we missed out is the OHIP card.
I have not received the PR card yet. Its been around one month since we landed.Question:
The officer at Ontario Svc Center mentioned that the OHIP card will activate from 3 months of 1st landing date. So even if you apply for it after 4-5 months, it will be activated from day1 as you have crossed 3 months from you day of initial landing. Is this how it works?? If I finally land in Toronto on say 09th Jan, 2012 and apply for the OHIP card, will I be able to avail the medical services from 09th Jan? or I have to wait for 3 months?
I am following the posts regarding landing for quite sometime and now my time has come !!
Thanks to Qorax/Leon and the other members for making it so informative and useful for Canada aspirants like us.
I am (originally from India) landing in Toronto from US next week –along with my wife - will stay for 4 days and will return to US to return permanently at a later date.
Taken care of the following:
1. USD 14,000 Cashier's Cheque from Bank of America, rest in USD cash
2. Preparing B4 and B4A forms with photos
3. Applying PRC at airport ( PR Card Application (IMM 5444E) will be filled by IO)
4. Staying in a friend's house for the 4 days
5. Rented a car from Toronto Intl Airport
6. Will apply for SIN on arrival
7. Will open bank account
1. I have to fill the disembarkation form in the plane, is there any other form which needs to be pre-filled by me?
2. Do I need to fill/update anything on the COPR form before landing?
3. Will the US DL work for the 4 days I drive the rental car
4. I read that OHIP needs a residence proof -> if I open a joint bank account and get a bank statement with a address on it, will that work for applying for health insurance? I can say that I will stay in my friend's house for next 6-12 months..
5. My wife is an Architect (B.Arch from India) with a MS in Construction Mgmt from US. 3 yrs work-exp in US. Does anyone have any idea on the job opportunities for Architects in Toronto? Will the US degree be valued in Canada?
Responses/suggestions will be much appreciated. Let me know if I am missing anything.