Eligibility criteria for the Canadian PR card.
CANADAVISA.com Immigration Forum
April 30, 2017, 02:07:24 am
   Home   Assessment Help Search Login Register RSS  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Eligibility criteria for the Canadian PR card.  (Read 4645 times)

Posts: 1
Ratings: +0

« on: August 16, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »

Hello everyone. I wanted to know what exactly is the criteria to qualify for Permanent residency in Canada. I live and work in the UK and I've got 2 years of work experience in the Games industry as a Software Engineer. I've never been to Canada before but I was wondering if I could apply for a PR card and still work in Canada.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible for me to apply for a Canadian PR card just on the basis of having 2 years worth of work experience in the UK and even without having a job offer from a Canadian company?

2. I've got a Master's degree, so does this help me in any way of getting the PR card?

3. I have a friend who lives and works in Canada, who has a permanent resident card. Would that help me in any way for my process?

I've been trying to look for answers on-line on the main website, but I'm still confused and hence I thought some experts here could help me out.

Cheers. Smiley
VIP Member

Posts: 37500
Ratings: +1027
Category........: FAM
Visa Office......: Buffalo
App. Filed.......: 28-05-2010
AOR Received.: 19-08-2010
File Transfer...: 28-06-2010
Passport Req..: 01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...: 05-10-2010
LANDED..........: 05-10-2010

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »

1. You don't qualify for the federal program (you need a job offer for that one). Hopefully someone else can comment on the provincial programs.
2. Depending on which program you apply through, having a Masters may get you more points towards qualifying for PR.
3. No - this doesn't help. Unless she can help you get you a job offer in Canada.
VIP Member

Posts: 21969
Ratings: +1071

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »

1. You have to go through the CIC website and look for an immigration class you qualify under.  These days, most of them need a job offer except maybe Quebec skilled worker.  How is your French?

2. If you are a PhD student in Canada, you can apply under the skilled worker program if you have enough points.  Feel like doing a PhD?

3. Your friend can maybe help you get a job offer.  A job offer would allow you to either apply under the skilled worker program or apply for a work permit.

One option is also if you qualify for the UK working holiday program, you could get a one year open work permit through there and once you are in Canada, work on getting a good job with an employer that wants to keep you and helps you find ways to stay.

PR=Permanent resident - TFW=temporary foreign worker
FSW=federal skilled worker - QSW=Quebec skilled worker
AEO=arranged employment offer - LMO=labour market opinion
CEC=Canadian experience class - PNP=provincial nominee program
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.10 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC